Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soundcard/sound Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ATARi

ATARi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

So I updated my drivers, Soundblaster Live 24bit and restarted the comp afterwards. I tried playing a music/movie file and boom I lost all sound, even when I connect my USB headset, no sound. I checked all wirings and still nothing. Basically as descriptive I can be, can anyone help me or redirecting to elsewhere; where I can get assistance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

To access analog/digital settings (not sure if this is what you need but I'm throwing it for you anyway)

If you have a sound icon next to your clock, click the icon and open Play Control. The first panel, at least on mine, is Play Control. Click the advanced tab there, in the box that comes up check 1 Digital Output Only. If it's checked, uncheck it. Put in a cd, see if you hear anything.

Also check the sound controls to make sure nothing is muted.

If you don't have the sound icon in the system tray- Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume Tab. Click Advanced to open Play Control, follow the above procedure.

When Play Control opens, if you don't see the Play Control panel or advanced in Play Control, click on Options/Properties. Check the box next to play control, then OK.

(The above steps are based on my SB card. Yours may be the same or something similar. The first time I formatted my computer and reinstalled SB drivers, it took me 4 hours of going through my sound settings and sound control before I stumbled on the Digital Output solution)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 January 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

You did not use WinUpdate to get drivers, did you?

What website provided the updated drivers...and why did you update?

If it were me, I would just uninstall the drivers via Device Manager...reinstall the old ones...see if sound resumes. Solves many an irritating circumstance in ComputerLand.

If so, I would try updating them properly.

And, of course, file corruption could have been the culprit :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 ATARi

ATARi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:01 AM

To access analog/digital settings (not sure if this is what you need but I'm throwing it for you anyway)

If you have a sound icon next to your clock, click the icon and open Play Control. The first panel, at least on mine, is Play Control. Click the advanced tab there, in the box that comes up check 1 Digital Output Only. If it's checked, uncheck it. Put in a cd, see if you hear anything.

Also check the sound controls to make sure nothing is muted.

If you don't have the sound icon in the system tray- Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume Tab. Click Advanced to open Play Control, follow the above procedure.

When Play Control opens, if you don't see the Play Control panel or advanced in Play Control, click on Options/Properties. Check the box next to play control, then OK.

(The above steps are based on my SB card. Yours may be the same or something similar. The first time I formatted my computer and reinstalled SB drivers, it took me 4 hours of going through my sound settings and sound control before I stumbled on the Digital Output solution)

This helped thanks alot!

You did not use WinUpdate to get drivers, did you?

What website provided the updated drivers...and why did you update?

If it were me, I would just uninstall the drivers via Device Manager...reinstall the old ones...see if sound resumes. Solves many an irritating circumstance in ComputerLand.

If so, I would try updating them properly.

And, of course, file corruption could have been the culprit :thumbsup:.

Louis

Honestly I don't even know why I update, but I did update through Dell Support which I believe was totally idioitic. Though it's fix thanks for the help!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

I'm glad you got the issue resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users