Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot From Cd, Dvd, Or Usb Device. Any Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imekul

imekul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem with my Tecra A4-S211 laptop. Simply put, I can no longer boot from any kind of bootable CD or DVD, even when the BIOS boot order has the CD-ROM listed before the HD. In Windows, the discs are read just fine, with no problem whatsoever.

This has worked previously, but I have since swapped out the original DVD/CD-RW combo with a DVD burner (identified as Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S in Device Manager).

Anyway, it seems like there's no way to get a bootable disc to work in the standard way. I have thought about alternate ways to boot, such as making a bootable USB flash drive, but I've learned that the BIOS does not support USB devices... ugh.

So, I need some wisdom! How can I boot from a CD or DVD when I can't use a bootable disc or a bootable USB drive? My ultimate goal is to run BackTrack, and I don't care if it's from a CD, DVD, or USB drive.

Any ideas on how I can get this done? One thing I thought of was perhaps finding a way to edit the boot loader and adding some sort of option to boot from a disc, although I'm not entirely sure how I could go about this.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input that you might have! This is a really bizarre problem, and I just can't think of how to get around these issues.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

you know what i think man i think your screwed i mean you cant boot of of a cd or a dvd or flash. i guess floppy but that has no space you could try getting the bios replaced if that can be done.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

look for a critical bios update
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

Did you take a look in your BIOS for a setting that says "USB DOS" or "legacy USB" or something similar?

Many bioses enable use of a USB device for booting...once the legacy settings in the BIOS are elected.

Is this new drive properly recognized in the BIOS?

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

I've seen a couple of Toshiba laptops with CD/DVD drive issues over the last few months (none were Tecra's) - and one was a BIOS issue, while 2 were related to the flat cable beneath the drive being kinked (the flat thing that connects the sliding part of the drive to the fixed part of the drive). We've also got a Satellite (A105, I think) at work right now that we can't figure this out at all!

Since you got a new drive, I'd think that the kinked cable wasn't very likely. Unfortunately, this website ( http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...;all_docs=false ) doesn't list this as a problem within your BIOS.

I'd suspect, therefore, that this is a problem with the motherboard (but don't buy one on my say-so!). If it's still under warranty, have them diagnose and repair it for you. If it's not under warranty, then I'd try the BIOS flash just in case it's an undocumented fix (But be careful! Flashing the BIOS incorrectly can hose the computer - and it may be expensive to repair).

If the BIOS flash doesn't fix it, then you don't have much in the way of options left to you. You can boot from a bootable disk by copying an ISO image to a spare hard drive - and then inserting the spare hard drive to boot from (but then you can't use Windows). Or you can try another motherboard - but it's only guesswork on my part and it'll take a lot of work just to see if this is indeed the problem. Or, you can take it to a shop that has experience with disassembling laptops and see what they think.

Edited by usasma, 24 January 2008 - 08:09 AM.
'nother brain cramp! :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

much as I hate laptops and slimline drive, I did a little research on them this last year, they are not universally plug and play like standard optical drives

the difference is master slave designation, these drives are set by firmware not jumpers

so you just can't order any off the shelf drive and stick it in and then expect it to work

gosh I hate laptops

standard should be master on all such configuration, however some manufactures decided to use the drive as slave to the hard drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users