Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomthebomb231

tomthebomb231

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

my laptop won't connect to my router. I think there is an issue with my laptop's ip address or something because when i did the ipconfig thing it had either a bunch of zeros or blank space next to ip address, subnet mask, and all that other stuff. My desktop works fine (which is what i am on right now) and since it connects to the same router and modem i think the router is fine.

just so you know my router is a linksys SRX200
my modem is a ADSL modem

I don't have any idea what to do so help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

In the properties for your connection set the IP to automatically configure itself. If it already is and not working then do it backwards give it an IP of something like 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and try connecting.
Hope that helps!

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

Are you trying to connect wireless or wired?
Open a command prompt on your laptop and type ping 127.0.0.1
What was the result?
MCP
MSDST

#4 tomthebomb231

tomthebomb231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

Ok so I did what Tomo2 said and i set the ip and sub net myself. This actually allowed me to connect with my network but when i tried loading firefox or IE it would not load. So I set the ip to automatical obtain itself. All this did was set the ip and all those other things I can't remember to a bunch of zeros and then I lost my connection to my network

My laptop connection is wireless (the laptop has some Dell wireless card in it)

my desktop connects to the router through a cord while the laptop is supposed to connect wirelessly (and it has worked fine for a couple of months now)

The router then connects to my modem
the modem then connects to a phone jack in the wall
I have DSL internet

ok so I did that ping 127.0.0.1 thing and I got a reply saying i had sent 4 packets and received 4 packets, whatever that means.
anyway I thought it was kind of strange that I got a reply even though I was not even connected to my network.

Edited by tomthebomb231, 22 January 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

Here is a link to set up your wireless connection http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx
The 127.0.0.1 is just a loop back address to your machine so you can ignore that part.
MCP
MSDST

#6 tomthebomb231

tomthebomb231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

ok so i reinstalled my router for a second time and this time i changed the password and I fiddled around with some of the settings then I tried connecting and it worked :thumbsup:
I am not sure what was wrong with it since it has worked fine for a couple of months but anyway its working now

thanks for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users