Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se Computers - Which Protection Programs Are You Using?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

As we know, windows 98SE is facing problems with withdrawal of support for many compatible programs

As my original thread on this topic has become completely hijacked I will ask on this new fresh thread for feedback ( and hopefully remain free from repeat hijacking )

If you are running a computer ON windows 98se what protection programs are YOU using and how long do you beleive they will be supported? :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum and edited topic description~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 24 January 2008 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I have spybot S&D 1.4 on my original windows 98 installation (under XP). I only use it for its tools though no need to scan for viruses. can't get onto that PC. In spybot S&D 1.5 compatibility only gets better! but the program is slower than 1.4. Thats the only AV program I have on my networked ME and 98se as they run through a secure proxy on the XP PC.
Avast! Antivirus still supports Windows 95! almost makes me want to find a copy of 95 :thumbsup:
http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html
Sygate should be a good firewall for it although to get the latest version you have to buy norton internet security but I don't think that supports 98SE so get sygate here: http://filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/
Various other AV and Firewall Apps for Windows 98 and ME (with 98SE in the gap)
Another page, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...01145028AAr8eFd
Spybot and Avast should be good on 98 for quite a while.
Thats not hijacking your post is it?
Hope that helps!

Edited by Tomo2, 22 January 2008 - 09:15 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

I currently don't have my Window$ ME hooked up, but I do have Avast AV on it. And a very old version of Zonealarm. When I hook it back up I'll look for more recent stuff. Hopefully that will be within the next couple of months.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users