Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Me Want

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

i really want to upgrade my video card but i dont know what to look.

The questions i write might shock you but im N00B

IS MORE memory better? i cant belive i said that.

i want to install it in pci-e port just give me stuff that i should look for when buying a video card.

here are a bunch i can afford http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e=%2425+-+%2450

and the card i have to right know is a ati radeon express 200 and it sucks i think it with a agp slot do i have to uninstall this video card before getting the new one?

i just want a video card that can play games like halo 2 or nfs carbon or games that require same specs.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thelastleap

Thelastleap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

a answer would be nice please
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq...7-31589079.html

is this your computer? it's the one in your signature?

no agp, you have onboard video?

questions and requests are easy but good answers require more clues
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

If your computer was store bought I would need to know the model number to see if you have a PCI-Express slot or AGP.

The Radeon Xpress 200 is an intergrated video card. ( It's built in your motherboard, no need to remove it )

More memory....it really depends, 256MB to 512MB for example may improve performance, but only if you're card can use it all. You also have to factor in the memory speed, 64-128-512 bit, bus bandwitdh. That's just for the memory. But there's tons of things that play a part, reserch what card best suits your needs and look at benchmarks of each card.

But first I'd like to know your computer model so I can look up each individual spec of your computer and give you advice on which video card.

Edited by protozero, 22 January 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Also, minimum specs needed to run the game are a 2GHz CPU, a strong DirectX 9 graphics card and at least 1GB or RAM

halo 2, minimum specs, I would think you shouldn't bother with the upgrade for less than 100$

you can't get anything much better than what you are using, for 50$
Chewy

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

If your computer is the on DaChew posted, then you do have a PCI-Express slot, and I would take a good geuss and say a 300Watt Bestec Power supply with 19Amps on the 12V rail ( I have a similar SR1750NX model. )

And Halo 2 requires Vista as well, but I have to agree with DaChew on that you'd need more then 100$ to play Halo 2 well.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

you would need to add 512 megs of ram to your computer(if that's all you have now)

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.as...94835BEA5CA7304

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102035

need for speed carbon works on a friends system similarly upgraded, however I am not so sure the power supply or the cpu is going to hold up for much longer, he's already having issues
Chewy

#8 Thelastleap

Thelastleap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

look i know that you been told this before but
Spoiler
and your so smart yes that indeed is my computer and all you needed was my computers name. chew i got the ram.

and while we are here and i dont want to bother u with more threads how does this proessor look can my motherb handle it my mb is sock 939 and so is this but the 64 part scares me because freinds have told me that thats 64 bit technology and u need windows xp 64 bit version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103493

so the things that matter is the memory and how fast it can read it got it. :thumbsup:

you guys is great

Edited by Thelastleap, 22 January 2008 - 07:14 PM.

Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...20sr1620nx#N407

according to this page that cpu will work

depending upon your bios I would think

you have been misadvised on the 64 bit part

Edited by DaChew, 22 January 2008 - 07:37 PM.

Chewy

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

That CPU should work no problem....except one thing which may concern me. You're motherboard supports it, and whatever your friend told you isn't true. A 64-bit Processor will work fine with a 32 bit operating system, the operating system will just use 32 out of the 64.

Again with the one thing that concerns me is that it may run a little hot, as I'm quite sure your computer currently has a stock CPU cooler which isn't set for the Athon +4000.

I could easily be wrong and the Athlon may just run a little warm which is nothing to be concerned with.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

my amd64 single core @ 2.2 does video conversions about 25-30 % faster than my 32 bit amd @ 2.2

I doubt running a 64bit OS and 64 bit conversion program(if there was one?) would change it much
Chewy

#12 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

If your computer is the on DaChew posted, then you do have a PCI-Express slot, and I would take a good geuss and say a 300Watt Bestec Power supply with 19Amps on the 12V rail ( I have a similar SR1750NX model. )

Yea you got a better one than me i got a Bestec 250w either way there horrible compared to aftermarket
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#13 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

Motherboard Specs

Here is the specs. It says it can handle a X2 4800 so if your going to put a processor in it you might as well put the best one your motherboard can handle

CPU

Edited by Lucky23, 23 January 2008 - 08:38 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#14 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

As for a video card, I would go with this. Its in your specified price range, and it should work if what they found was what you have and it has a x16 slot...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161077

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#15 Thelastleap

Thelastleap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Thank you so much thanks for the processor lucky and video card vaerli o yea proterizo thanks for the over heating part i would have to take that into consideration and thanks for everything chew. good day.

Edited by Thelastleap, 23 January 2008 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users