Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use Webcam To Monitor Room

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hey,

How can I set up my Webcam to Monitor my Office and capture the file to the HD (or even better, a Virtual Linux File Server (please see other post))?

I don't know where to put the Camera in the Office. We have a Corner Desk and the Main Office PC and the Server is under there. Would it be best to monitor the whole room or just the Server?

Thanks (And I'm sorry if that's just blurred your mind!! I don't know how to explain it really!)
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

It should point at what you want it to monitor. Just follow the instructions that come with the camera and adjust it from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

WOW! What a fast reply!!

That's the problem. I don't know what to monitor in the Office. What would be best to monitor? Whole Room, Server, Main PC?

deanpcmad

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

What are you worried about? What are you looking to see? A webcam monitor is a PITA to administer in a highly trafficed area (I've had one at home and have 2 at the wife's office) - there's just too much to see! Do you want the camera concealed, or do you want it visible (as a deterrent)?

The recordings take up an enormous amount of room on your hard drive. Motion detection may decrease the size of the files to manageable levels tho' (that's what we do at the wife's office).

We use Swann cameras and software at the wife's office ( http://www.swann.com.au/ ) and I've had good luck at home with Logitech USB cameras ( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_c...s/&cl=us,en )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

I am going to use a Trust 360 USB 2.0 Spacecam because I already have it and I don't use it much anymore as I have a webcam that clips onto the screen of my Laptop.

The software included is in a word, rubbish. Could you recommend any good software that is capable of recording clips to the HD and probably with Motion Detection. But I don't know if it will work with the Camera I am going to use.

BTW what does "PITA" mean?

deanpcmad

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Pain In The _ss :huh:.

I thought everyone knew that one, I'm pretty sure that concept rumbles through each of our minds just about every single day :thumbsup:.

None of my business, but you don't seem to have a good idea of what you want or how much you want it.

What's the point of using premium software...with crap hardware?

Garbage in, garbage out when it comes to video.

Louis

#7 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Oh I see about the PITA thingy!

So you need Premium Software to use Motion Detection? Oh I didn't know that.

deanpcmad

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

There are various security software programs to use in conjunction with your camera. You can also integrate a motion sensor into the system
Many here to checkout
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users