Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning My Lan...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

I am setting up a LAN in my home... I have a Server 2003 box, a Vista Home Basic box, an XP MCE machine and am setting up an OpenSUSE or Ubuntu desktop.

Questions:

Will Server 2003 work across these platforms?

Is RDP supported across platforms?

Are there any "tweaks" that I'll need to perform to allow interconnectivity?

Are there any major obstacles that I may not have considered and are there workarounds?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Make sure that the router is Vista compatible - or turn off the Vista features that cause issues with it (DHCP Broadcast Flag, IPv6, and the IP Helper service).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

the router's about 3 years old... so I'll probably have to shut things off... but I'll check into that. Thanks.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
Do this for ALL network connections on the Vista system

Disable IPv6 in the Properties for each Network Connection on the Vista system

Disable the IP Helper service in the Services applet (services.msc) on the Vista system

It works for my Vista systems and my incompatible router at home and at the wife's office.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

sweet! thanks!

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

Vista basic and Media centre wont connect to a domain. Not sure about Linix. There is a hack to join Media centre but you really must no what you are doing in the registry.
So if you want to set up a home server you will need Vista Ultimate, Buisness,Enterprise and/or Xp Pro.
This relates to Windows server 2003 and SBS 2003.
Home server would be an option. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

Edited by Monty007, 22 January 2008 - 03:52 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#7 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

what about home premium? It would be worth the money to upgrade in that case. As far as the MCE machine goes, I'll probably just make it XP Pro or Vista... (probly XP Pro.)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Only Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, and Vista Ultimate will connect to a domain. (Vista Basic/Home and Vista Home Premium will not)

Only XP Pro will connect to a domain (XP Media Center Edition and XP Home will not)

#9 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

gotcha... thx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users