Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Box flashing on screen, too fast to read.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beepsz

beepsz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:27 PM

Help! I suspect my HD is crashing... again. :thumbsup: I keep getting some type of a box flash on my screen... it has a blue header and is a black box, looks like a DOS command or something in the blue header. But, it flashes so fast sometimes I can't see anything at all, and sometimes I can see enough to see the blue header and black box. I think the blue header has a DOS command, or an address in it (maybe something like D:\volume ??). I can't really read what the header says, it is just too fast. I don't see anything in the box. Any suggestions, thoughts? I did a virus scan, ad scan, spyware scan this morning and had no viruses or ads, a few things came up on the spybot scan but I have gotten rid of them, rebooted and the same problem. Have also deleted all cookies and temp internet files and still the same problem. Again, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Has happened 2 times in the length of time it has taken me to type this, and I type pretty fast. Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 psb

psb

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

If it is a virus or malware
The first things many of them do is corrupt your Firewall & Antivirus programs

So as a backup try running this Web based on line Antivirus Program it is FREE
It is from Trend Micro
HouseCall
Description: Scan for Viruses On line Get A Free second opinion... Remember you still need a real time Anti Virus Program However...it is a good second opinion... Because many Viruses will attack/disable or corrupt your AntiVirus Program

#3 KoRn

KoRn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

Try, when it comes up, press the PRINT SCRN button, and paste it into paint, and read it then,

#4 nomi

nomi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:50 AM

Hi There,

I am getting exactly the same thing! The first couple of times I saw it I thought I was going mad! Have you had any luck sorting it out? I have tried Ad / Spy / Virus scans etc but no joy as of yet- quite worried about it as it happens all the time.

Please has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks all,

Nomi

#5 cynder

cynder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

I'm having the exact same issue here, what OS's is everyone else running, I'm on W2K. I ran Norton, Spybot, Adaware, Housecall, AVG and nothing!!!! any solutions?

-Dave

Edited by cynder, 10 March 2005 - 04:42 PM.

#6 lcoddens

lcoddens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

I've got the same. Would be very nice if anyone found a solution and post it overhere. Although it didn't seem harmful to me at first, i start to worry now. It looks like it pops-up more often then in the beginning. I'm running xp and no virus scans show any results. :thumbsup:

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:27 PM

Hi all

To the people with this problem. Are you using DSL for your internet access?

Look for a program in your start up programs (Start>Run>type in msconfig, go to startup tab) called Net Assistant and remove the check mark. Reboot.

Please post back if this is the case and let us know if that worked.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 lcoddens

lcoddens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:12 PM

After unsuccesfully trying the print screen, i recorded my screen activities. When the box appears, it's saying this:

C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\DOWNLO~1\EXITEM~1.CUR\DUCINS...

After that, google helped me to find out that another forum is discussing the same thing during the last days:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....5589#post395589

It must be something with Norton, the bad news is: no one knows, but the good news is that the possibility of a virus is getting less.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:14 PM

I don't know if it's applicable, but I've found that many people uninstall Norton, and perhaps install a newer version, but they don't uninstall the Live Update feature, and it continues to attempt to run. The Live Update feature must sometimes be uninstalled separately from the main program.

#10 lcoddens

lcoddens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:26 AM

Solution: just change the every five minutes attempt into more minutes or disable it in the Win Task manager.

#11 mkfnc

mkfnc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

same here too, freaking black rectangle keeps flashing on the screen, solution yet for anyone?? norton seems to be a theme.....

#12 cynder

cynder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

I removed a norton net detect scheduled task and the problem has gone away. when i first looked at my scheduled tasks though it didn't have a name and i wasn't able to go into the properties on it. I went in safe mode and suddenly it has a name etc. deleted the lil bastard and it's now gone

-Dave

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

Seems I nailed it with the Net Assistant previously but under Norton it has a different name.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 lcoddens

lcoddens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

Norton fixed it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users