Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Weird Headphone Issue- Doesnt Work When Plugged All The Way In

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Okay this is a VERY weird thing, and might be pretty confusing, I'll do my best to explain it clearly.

I have a headset w/ microphone (logitech) for voice chatting online. When its plugged all the way in I can't hear anything, I have to back it out slightly then I can hear but the connection is not good because it's not"clicked' in and I have to hold it in the right place, so not a good solution.

I CAN hear out of it when listening to a song with it all the way in so i thought it was a stereo/mono issue. I.e. can't hear when listening to a 'sound recorder' file or yahoo voice chat but CAN hear when llistening to music.

I also have another set of headphones without a mic for listening on my mp3 player. These headphones DO WORK for BOTH types of files. The plugs are EXACTLY the same, both have two black bands, ( i.e. both are stereo headphones) i have even measured the two plugs and spacing of the black bands, bboth EXACTLY the same.

And I've also tried this on more than one PC, my laptop and desktop and it's the same on both machines.

One other thing is that the headphone/mic set DID work initially but then the problem started later and i discovered that pulling the plug out slightly made it work. And now lots of head scratching later i'm completely dumbfounded by this.

has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what is causing this? I rather not have to buy a new headphone/mic set.

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

Seeing how it's being duplicated on a second computer, it has to be the headset/mic unit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Clean the plug with a paper towel and some alcohol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users