Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub Issues...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samsoknight

samsoknight

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hello, I run Ubuntu on my Vaio. Well, normally I do. A week or so ago I attempted to make a SAM Linux liveusb installation, and it affected the local installation of GRUB on my harddrive.

Now, when I try to boot, I get a message that says GRUB Error 21 version 1.5

I tried to use the livecd of SAM Linux to fix grub with grub-install, but that hasn't proven a useful strategy either.

Ideas? I'm not keen on the idea of losing all the pictures I have taken since June...

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hay there samsoknight
Don't know if you got it figured out, but, it sounds like you overwrote the MBR with your Sam install, of which I am no help at all on how to fix. If you can boot with your Sam disk or use the Ubuntu disk as live you might be able to retrieve you "stuff" and put it on another drive and then go from there. This link is on how to "un-hose" a windows MBR from Ubuntu , don't know if there's any info to help you there or not
http://www.arsgeek.com.nyud.net:8080/?p=3340

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

If you are still having trouble with your GRUB boot, don't panic. All your files are still there. It's just a matter of repairing your GRUB menu and/or MBR (Master Boot Record). I'm still learning and am not able to guide you through it, but the following link will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the GRUB boot program.
http://users.bigpond.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi there samsoknight, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:
Here's a quick HowTo on repairing GRUB using your Ubuntu LiveCD: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users