Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What To Do For Ram In A New Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

So I'm planning a new PC, and thinking about 4Gb of Ram (DDR2 800, PC6400) ... The question I have is, would it be better to use all four slots on the mobo with 1 gig each, or would a 2x2Gb setup work better? The timings on the RAM would probably be 4-4-4-12 for the 1Gb modules and 5-5-5-15 for the 2Gb ones. The pricing works out about the same... Or would I want to pay an extra 10 % for 2x2Gb at 4-4-4-12?

Well I tried to be clear. It's the thought that counts, right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

I don't think that it will make a significant difference as long as you use matched pairs. The downside to using 4 - 1gB sticks would come if you decide to use more than 4 gB of RAM.

Beware the limitations of 32 bit versions of Windows with 4 gB of RAM (Windows will generally only recognized 3.26 gB or so of it). I'd recommend a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of the RAM that you have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

That is the other question... I have been trying to plan with a view to expand in the future (spending an extra $20 here and there to make sure I can do things like go SLI if that's where the wind takes me). But I figured if there was a marked increase in performance I'd go for 4x1Gb.... I'm leaning towards the pair of 2Gb so I can max out to 8Gb whenever I get bored and have extra money around (unfortunately these two things rarely go hand in hand)...

The site I'm planning on buying most everything from has Vista 32 bit and 64 bit for almost the same price (there's like $3 in it)...

Thanks

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

Ive read many times to just go with the 5-5-5-15 timmings unless your a diehard overclocker. If your just running comp a stock speed supposedly youll only see a difference in benchmarks or 3D scores.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users