Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Certain Programs...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 WtfamIdoing

WtfamIdoing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

OK, I'm having a little problem installing anti-virus programs, I've tried two, it says access is denied.
It started when I tried updating my AVG, the update failed, I ignored it at first but after a few days it started to make me wonder, I tried to uninstall and reinstall, didn't work at all - I googled keywords of problem I was having, and did some recommended things, nothing works;
I have tried running CCleaner to clean the registry of AVG uninstall things, but after scanning, it just comes back...

Problem - "Missing Startup Software"
Data - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
Registry Key - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Problem - "Missing Startup Software"
Data - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE
Registry Key - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I've tried repeatedly to 'clean' those entries.
I've tried to uncheck them in MSCONFIG's startup tab, they come back after restart.
I've tried other anti-virus programs, none will install, I've also had problems installing some other programs but they aren't as serious as anti-virus so I won't make a big deal...
I'm also having problems with winXP search (start > search), it comes up with a blue background with a dog, no place to add keywords to search for or anything.
And the user account thing (control panel > user accounts) It's similar, it just shows a blank white screen...
And, far worse, I'm having problems with system restore (start > all programs > accessories > system tools...), it doesn't even come up with anything...

I am on an administrators account, or I think so at least -- I can't check without the user accounts working for me..

This is my last hope to fix this, I've emailed Grisoft tech support but they haven't responded in a week....
Here's what it says in system properties...

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

System restore is turned on, I am using ZoneAlarm, however even with it off it doesn't change anything.
I am not using any anti-virus at the moment, because I can't install...

The error shown when trying to install is:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{67B30939-3B35-11d2-A595-002018648BA7}: creating registry key....
Access is denied. (5)

Edited by WtfamIdoing, 22 January 2008 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

I suspect that you may be infected with malware and would suggest that you post your issues in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

If you are infected, the folks on that forum will help to get the system straightened out - and then we can deal with any remaining problems here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 WtfamIdoing

WtfamIdoing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

I'll try that, thanks

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Here is another article on some others that have had the same problem.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,81493,81823

I hope this helps.

DR

#5 WtfamIdoing

WtfamIdoing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I tried what that thread says a few weeks back, it didn't help, I still can't un- or re-install AVG...
I'm doing it again, and it says:

Done: 15002, Modified 15000, Failed 2, Syntax errors 0
Last Done : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0CFBC60B-45EE-4044-A
Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI : 2 The system canno

Done: 44503, Modified 44500, Failed 3, Syntax errors 0
Last Done : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RC
Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Per

I couldn't get the other one, the list was going too fast.

The people in the malware board didn't help me at all...

Edited by boopme, 26 January 2008 - 09:19 PM.
{Move to more appropriate forum~~boopme}

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hello ,please try running these 2 online scans

ESET Online Scanner

Panda ActiveScan?

Next Download (save to desktop), install and update SUPERAntiSpyware ,the free home version.
Reboot into safe mode and then Open from desktop Icon and run a complete scan. Quarantine All items found. Close SAS

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.

You can also run the AVG scan from Safe Mode.

Edited by boopme, 26 January 2008 - 09:34 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users