Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Failure?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Badjer21

Badjer21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

My computer was running for a few days while I flew home for Christmas. When I got back I turned on my monitor to find all my USB port failing. The, "Windows Doesn't Recognize this Device" error. No matter which port I used front or back. So I decided to restart the computer and see what it said. However when I shut it off to reboot, I am no longer getting signal to my monitor. The monitor turns on and then the green light goes to amber and it says check signal. However the video card, cpu, heatsink, power supply, ram and hard drive are all new. And it was working properly. basically the only original part left is the motherboard. Could the motherboard be failing? I am running Windows XP Home. Athlon XP 3200+. GeForce 7600 video card. 2mb of DDR 400 RAM. K8N-E motherboard. The motherboard is about 2 years old. Anyone with ideas please let me know. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kecik

kecik

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

I experienced also a similar case.
After 3 months vacation, the computer could not recognize the CDROM.
In the hardware device management, nothing "strange", seems all were okay.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, update the driver etc. No help.
Finally ..... no way .... I reformatted, and now it works well.
Maybe somebody can explain what was the problem?

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

I have found - after years of working with computers - that finding out WHAT fixes a given issue is one thing. But if you want to know WHY something happened - that takes too much time, and frankly is not nearly as important to know.

Malware, software conflicts, hardware issues, poorly written software, voltage spikes or drops, Windows issues, etc, etc, etc.

There are two many possible causes for software failures. It might drive you mad searching for the reason why. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:25 AM

However the video card, cpu, heatsink, power supply, ram and hard drive are all new.

Don't assume just because it is new that it is problem free. Also, are you SURE these components are compatable with your motherboard?

basically the only original part left is the motherboard. Could the motherboard be failing?

Sure it could be. But I think good troubleshooting calls for looking to other items first.

Think of this: You go into a room, turn on the light switch and light does not turn on. Do you fix this problem by tearing out the wiring and replacing it? No. Rather it is best to start at the manifistation of the problem and work back. So, in this case you should replace the bulb first. Then check for voltage at the bulb. Then check for voltage at the switch, and then check the switch, and continue working backwards until you find the culprit.

It seems in your case it would make sense to confirm it is not monitor related. ( by the sound of your description it does not sound monitor related, however. ) Then turn your attention to the video card. In most cases you would be able to remove the vid card and plug your monitor into the on-board video as a test. But in your case the motherboard does not have on-board video. Bummer. The easiest thing to try first is installing the newest drivers from the vid card's manufacterer's web site. If that does not cure the issues, then try a different vid card.

All of this assumes it is a hardware issue. Like kecik suggests, this may be software related. Would it be hard to reinstall Windows? Or if this is a difficult solution for you, then play with the hardware first.

Tough to know for sure what the cause is at this point. Let us know the results of your testing.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

Have you another known good video card? I always keep an old PCI video card just for this reason. It should tell you immediately if the video card or the motherboard is the problem.

Can you enter Safe Mode? Because you won't be able to load the latest drivers if you can't see the screen, no? from what you said, I am hearing that you don't even see the BIOS post screen, no?

If you can, enter Safe Mode by tapping F8 after the BIOS post screen. Select Safe Mode, the one on top.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users