Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing Network Connections?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:22 AM

I do not know if this would relate to my other Topic or not. While in the Manage Network Connections section in the Network and Sharing Center, I saw WAN Miniport (ATW) under device name for the Dial Up Connection. When I Right clicked it, then left clicked on properties,Windows asked for permission to continue, I left clicked on continue. That brought up a pop-up showing the Internet 1 properties. It showed Removed WAN Miniport (ATW) (IRDA8-0) as what I was using to connect to the internet.

Now I left clicked on the options window. Which brought up the dialing options. Under the Dialing options, there are 4 boxes with these options: "Display progress while connecting", "Prompt for name and password,certificate,etc." , "Include Windows logon domain" , "Prompt for phone number".

My first Question is: what should I do with these options? Mark them or leave them blank?

Next, At the bottom of the pop-up we have a box that has "PPP Settings". When I left click on that, another pop-up comes up, with three boxes with these options: "Enable LCP extensions" , "Enable software compression" , "Negotiate multi-link for single-link connections"

Now my next question is: What should I do with these options here? Mark them or leave them blank?

Next I left clicked on the Networking window. That window says at the top: "this connection uses the following items:". There are 5 boxes with the following options:
"Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" , "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" , "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network" , "QoS Packet Scheduler" , "Client for Microsoft Networks". The "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and "QoS Packet Scheduler" is checked.

Now my other question is: What should I do about these options here? Mark the rest of them? or Leave them blank?

Also If anybody has any information on what this stuff does or how it may affect my computer. Please post a response. Also, if you know what screens I am talking about, could you please help me with setting up the other stuff too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

It's normal for Windows Vista to pop up a confirmation about accessing things like the ability to manage network connections.

I know what all of these things do, but I need more information.

Are you on Dial-up? who's your provider? What country is this in?
And are you currently able to get a connection?

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hello!

I have a dial-up connection. I have AOL as My ISP. I am in the USA. And I am able to get a connection.

I was just wondering what those things do and if changing them or selecting them will have any affect on the way my computer operates and/or connects to the Internet. If it does have an affect, Will it be a positive or a negative affect. Or should I even worry about it?

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Don't touch these settings unless told to do so by your ISP (AOL). At least the ones associated with
PPP becuase unless your ISP supports this, it's useless. As far as Software compression,
you might try fooling around with this setting to get a mild improvement upon speed,
but performance and reliabilty depend on the quality of the connection you have and
depend heavily on electrical noise on the line.

As far as the Network protocols, you could probably disable/uninstall TCP/IP v6 with no ill affects.
If AOL Requires TCP/IP v6 then disabling this protocol would result in NO connection at all,
or as the Souz chef on Seinfeld says, "No soup for you.",

Sorry lil joke there.

But seriously, you have dial-up. There's not much you can do to tune it's performance and speed.
I'd just let it go.

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Thanks RandomUser.

I was not sure what those settings were for or what they did. But I think I will just take your advice not mess with them for now. One more thing, do you have a list of what the definitions are of those items are and what they are used for? So I can refer to it at a later date and time. Because this all new to me, and I am just learning the computer lingo and technical stuff. Or know where I can find a list.

Matt "Groffeaston"

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

check this site out

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/modem.htm

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hi "RandomUser"

Thanks for the info. I will check the website.

Matt "Groffeaston"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users