Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macsweeper- Rogue Mac Av (a Warning To Mac Users)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

This morning I sat down and decided to read the Sydney Morning Herald's TV Guide/ Icon (technology section)
I found a small article about foistware for mac.
Since I don't have a link I'll give a direct quote from the Magazine.

Mac Attack
With the increasing popularity of Macs, it was inevitable that hackers would start targeting its users. However, one piece of software has taken scamming to an all new level by masquerading as an anti-virus package. As reported on Cnet.com, a security researcher from F-Secure warned against a program called MacSweeper. Visitors to the website are prompted to run a free "scan", which will invariably find a vulnerability on their computer. Those who download the software will always find a threat that needs to be cleaned. Of course to remove the "threat", users are prompted to buy the product.
(Written by Simon Tsang for SMH the guide 21-27 January 2008)

Hope no one has already mentioned this. That would be very embarrasing :trumpet:
But as a complete disreguard for that, sucked in Mac users and welcome to what Windows users have been suffering for a long time :flowers: :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

I have found some articles on Macsweeper if anyone is interested :thumbsup:

MacSweeper Responds: F-Secure web blog