Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive Is Full C Is Very Empty

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

I got a pop up saying that my disk was full. I clicked on it and it ran cleanup and it did not help at all. When I look at the D drive which has the label local disk ( C has the label Windows) it shows the recovery folder and a back up folder. Both do not add up to the amount of space used. I am not sure what to do so ask me what info you need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

When you open my computer and right click on your C drive and select properties, it gives you a little pie chart, study that well.

A full hard drive is a sick one, it's not healthy and you can lose data if not crash the whole computer.

You can open any files or folders on the C drive and use the properties to see the size and figure out what's gone wrong.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

The C drive pie chart was about 3 quarters of free space. When I open the properties of the D drive it gives me the option to compress it will that help?

Edited by raidencmc, 21 January 2008 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

The backup folder should not be on the D drive, as the backup files will continue to fill up that drive. Not that this is the complete answer to your problem, but it should help. For automatic backups, you can change the settings through the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel in Classic View, double-click on Backup and Restore Center.

Click the Back up files button. If the User Account Control box opens, select Continue.

In the Where do you want to save your backup? box, select the appropriate option for saving your backups, and click Next.

Select the file types to be saved, and click Next again.

Select a backup schedule and click Save settings and start backup. You can cancel it after the backup has started, but you do want to get those settings saved.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

open the D drive and under tools, folder options, view show hidden files and folders

I would leave D alone if it's a recovery partition set up by the manufacturer
Chewy

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

You can try examining the disks in Disk Manager. Right Click - My Computer and then Left Click - Manage.

Open Disk Management and you can observe your hard drives. Their drive letter, the size of each and how much free space is available on each.

If your D: drive is in fact your recovery partition, you don't want to mess with it. My Acer laptop has 9.76 GB of space in an unmarked partition (no drive letter) that holds the recovery files.

Good luck.

DR

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

What I found out was it contained the recovery files, MediaID.bin and it is where the backup files are being put. I deleted all but the most current one. It gave me 1.24 GB of free space but still 8.51GB used up. I can't find any hidden files. Does this seem fine?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

who set vista to back up to that partition?
Chewy

#9 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

That was the default. It can't backup to C because it is the drive that is being backed up.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I guess I would turn off any automatic scheduled backup and just do it manually
Chewy

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

In the settings I posted above, I have it set to back up to an external HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users