Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I Didn't Follow The Instructions And .....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biggerdog

biggerdog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

So I wiped Vista off my Inspiron 6400 (came with). I'll go back one day, when I got the money for tons of RAM. Anyway, wiped and re-installed installed XP home from an older disc. Of course most of you know already what my question is: I'm missing quite a few drivers and don't know where to get 'em: Base System Devices (PCI Bus 3) Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller. I'm assuming IF I could get the notebook on-line I could do an update or Dell could scan me ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Go back to the store and demand the driver disc.

#3 biggerdog

biggerdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I've got all discs that came from Dell - when I try to "update driver" from the CD - says it ain't there. I was assuming that'sa because they're on the Vista reinstall CD and I'm now running XP ? This is a first for me ... so take it slow. I've got all CD's - reinstallation Vista discs from Dell - and my old XP Home disc.

Edited by biggerdog, 21 January 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#4 Kixx025

Kixx025

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

of course your cd/dvd drive wont run since you dont have the correct/updated driver from your old xp home sw as you mentioned. I also suspect that the XP installation SW that you have is not 'generic' meaning it may come from oem and dont have compatible driver package.

What is suggest is to restore your vista and copy the vista driver files to another partition. Then you can reinstall your xp and retrieve the correct driver when done.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

You'll need access to a computer with internet access - and the ability to copy the driver files to a CD or other removable media in order to get them over to your computer.

Here's a link to the Dell drivers page for the 6400: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users