Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios's ( Disk Boot Error Please Insert System Disk And Press Enter )

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 sec

sec

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

hello everybody here at B.C

As this topic mentions this is supposed to be a BIOS guide, not exactly tho....
I will write about what i have encountered and worked with when it comes to this motherboard in hope to expand this knowledge and hopefully finding a solution with a broader network.

As mentioned this is the ABIT AN8 Fatal1ty S939 Motherboard without the SLI = double PCI EXPRESS installed

Basically my old motherboard stopped functioning so i had to replace it with the Abit Fatal1ty, at first i was very pleased becouse i read alot of positive stuff about it, altho i dont really like too much advertising this motherboard looked promising.
A part of the horror that struck me was that i needed to install WinXp from start, there were reports of users who could simply do a repair of winxp so they wont loose any valuable data, but in my case i didnt have that option, my windows could not be saved. Since i had 3 HDD's i plugged in another one after backing it up from another pc, becouse i simply mistook it for the hdd that had winxo on it, anyway i thought to myself i could backup my winxp containing drive at a later state when i get winxp installed on the drive i just cleaned. I then instaled all the hardware where it belongs and booted up and put in the WinXp SP2 cd and ran thru the first part of the setup ( where the files get copied over to your hdd before the restart )
All went well and the pc gave me as usual a 15 second timline to restart or it would do it by itself. I booted up again then i got this dreadfull msg : disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter
At first i didnt take it seriously becouse i thought it was a BIOS thing and boot priority wich was a simple task
I got into bios and my configuration was as following : Boot Priority - CD, HDD, Removable device ( floppy )

1. Checked if IDE controllers both 1 and 2 were enabled
2. Ran an automated search for my HDD eventho it was detected correctly from start
3. Ran the WinXP setup again and again several times, and it copied all files over to the hdd correctly with no errors
4. Flashed my BIOS with the lates version ( an821 BIOS compiled date: 04/16/2007 )
5. Plugged in a diffrent HDD wich i know for sure is working and installed winxp, formating and always choosing NTFS
instead of FAT32, but with no such luck becouse i still got the DISK BOOT ERROR....
6. The nr. 2 HDD that i used last, i put it into another system and installed WINXP SP2 and it worked 100%
7. HDD nr.1 wich i had the original problem from, i removed it and put it into another system and did a format into NTFS
incase the winxp setup didnt format correctly, it went O.K but when i put it back into the Fatal1ty system again and after
yet another xp setup i got the DISK BOOT ERROR.
8. I cleared my CMOS and reconfigured, still got the error.
9. I removed my original hdd and switcheed it into another pc and installed the first part on it and when it needed a restart i
then shut down the pc and moved the hdd back to the fatal1ty system and booted there : DISK BOOT ERROR
10. I tried installing winxp with the FAT32 system, no diffrence
11. Some say it might be a faulty or empty BIOS battery, but my time and date are correct so i doubt it is from that

Here are my specs :

AMD Athlon 3000+
2 GB RAM Kingston Hyper
ATX Powersupply 350w
HIS RADEON X800 XL IceQ II Turbo 256MB
HDD Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM

Anyway this is what i can come up with so far when it comes to this problem...
My hopes are that we somehow get thru this problem so that this can be considered as a HOW TO GUIDE for me and others to benefit from and explore, becouse i think this must be one of the worst BIOS problems out there.
So any sugestions and/or ideas are gladly accepted

Edited by sec, 21 January 2008 - 07:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like your problem is related to the IDE channels. You could try getting a PCI adaptor card for IDE or SATA drives. It will require installing software that will load in order to allow booting from any drives attached to it.

You may want to return the motherboard for a replacement, if possible.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

You have taken all of the steps I would take to determine if the IDE controller was malfunctioning you took a known working HDD and tried it with no luck. If the board is under warranty I would Send it for repair/replacement. You could also try a PCI IDE controller as suggested above.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 sec

sec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

well what i will have to do lastly is that im going to install winxp from scratch on my drive but under another system, and see if the disk is still working 100%

the pci adaptor u talked about, wont i need to boot into windows to enable it ? or will bios detect it auto ?

#5 sec

sec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

now i am posting to you from my original disk that i had in my system, now i moved it to another system and did a clean winxp install, no hasle no problems all went well.
Would be so neat if i just could plug this disk just the way it is right into my system and make it boot up so that i can install the drivers and go on with my normal days :thumbsup:
ill give it a shot tho, maybe if it still wont boot within my system ill try yet another REPAIR installation.
So it aint a faulty disk....hmmmm

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

Here is a link to a bunch of PCI IDE cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....40&name=ATA

I personally have used the Promise controllers with good results. Yes, you need to load the drivers in from a boot disk and then the BIOS will see it and grab that drive for boot-up.

DR

And it's good to hear that the drive is not faulty but then again, now you have to worry about the MotherBoard.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

OK, dual posts. Please do not do such.

I'm closing this thread.

Please only follow on here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126989/bioss-disk-boot-error-please-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter/
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users