Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid / Harddrive Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stu

stu

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

I recently had to get a hard drive recovered. When it came back I took out a secondary drive in my PC that was used as a backup drive. It was small and only 40 Gigs. I put in the drive I got back from the recovery folks and the drive showed up as H with all my data. After working on it and using is as a secondary drive for storing work on, the drive letter suddenly changed back to D which was the old drive. What I didn't realize is that Norton Ghost saw the drive as being part of an array and now it only shows 39 gigs of allocated space when it is a 500 gig harddrive. And I can't access the old data that I put on there all last week. I have since disabled Norton Ghost. I even tried putting the drive in another of my PC's but it says it is part of an ARRAY and only shows partial allocated space and I still can't see the data. When I boot to the Setup Menu it sees that it is a WD 500 gig harddrive and says it is controlled by the RAID BIOS. Is there anyway to see the other space or take it out of the ARRAY so that I can that data back, short of sending it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I'd like to know if this drive is Basic or Dynamic in disk management. It seems as though part of the disk was either a simple or spanned volume being controlled by Raid. A simple volume can be extended within the same drive or onto another drive and in these cases you have a Disk Group assigned to the Simple or Spanned Volume. The Disk Group might be part of the issue here.

What you may want to do is try placing the disk in an External USB case and determine if you can view the whole drive. If so, then back up your data
to another drive and reformat the drive in question.

Do no format this drive or any other disk function until you have your data copied to a Known working drive.

The other option is to change the drive from Basic to Dynamic if Disk managment says it's a basic disk.
DO NOT DO THIS until your data is backed up as it may cause data loss or data corruption, neither of
which is desirable.

Another option is to boot your PC, drive installed, to A linux LiveCD and attempt to transfer the data that way to another drive.
You may want to read up about how physical drives are managed by a computer and by an OS to understand what's going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users