Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinME troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

I was doing some research for a member and came across this bit of information and I'm hoping someone can verify if this is true and safe to do.

Click Start, Search, and click For Files or Folders in the search window search for a file named *.tmp and make sure you are searching or looking in the local C: drive.  Once search has completed delete any files found.

Out of curiosity (as I'm the ever proverbial cat), I checked this and found 393 files. They are all .tmp, many are from AIM and McAfee activity logs. But a few are folders (one says msdownld.tmp).

So, can anyone (LEURGY) verify this as being safe to do? "Delete ANY files found"?

If anyone (Leurgy) would like the link, let me know.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

Yes (TA67) they are safe to delete. Ccleaner deletes those and a lot more. You can also delete .chk, .fil, any .log FILE not FOLDER if you don't want your logfiles.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

To be sure I got it right, it IS safe to delete all files ending in .tmp, .chk, .fil, and .log. Is that correct?

Tmp, I figured out, but what does the chk and fil stand for?

Thanks so much for responding. In all these years, this is the first I've heard about this. But then, what else is new? :thumbsup:

I'll keep the folders though, right?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:02 AM

Yes keep the folders just to be safe. Some can be deleted and some can't, but there are too many to be listed here. Windows creates a few different temp folders for different purposes.

I will take back what I said about the .fil file as it seems that some programs use that extension now and deleting those could cause problems. You can add .dmp to the list.

A .chk file is created when a program doesn't close properly or you have a crash and have to reboot. The .chk file attempts to save any info you may have been working on. .tmp files are created many different ways and can always be safely deleted. A .dmp file is a file created by a memory "dump" when a program crashes and is the contents of your ram at that time. Totally useless.

However, you can safely delete the entire contents of C:\Windows\Temp which will include many different file types.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Leurgy!

After deleting all of those (nearly 400) .tmp files, I saved 21.1 MB.
I found only one in .chk but left it. No .dmp files were found.

I did do a search of the C:\Windows\Temp and it found 130 different items with a variety of filetypes and locations just like you said. Some of them made me nervous as to what they were so I didn't empty that as of yet. There was one folder that had Download Manager on it, a ymsgr.exe, lots of folders, a StartMenu.dll, etc...I know you said we can delete everything it finds but do I have a reason to be nervous or should I delete no matter what is in there? Making sure cuz I'd have withdrawals and a nervous breakdown if I screwed something up and couldn't get back to BC, :flowers: . And you're too far from me to hunt you down, :trumpet: , :thumbsup: .

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

When you install a program typically the installer will create the program in the C:\Windows\Temp folder and some installations will leave behind files. Its also used when you watch a video sometimes, things like that. Everything that goes on in that folder is temporary. Nasties like to hide in there too.

Windows Disk Cleanup will clear that folder.

You can delete the contents of C:\Windows\Applog also. Those are files that keep track of which programs you use for Defrag. They aren't really important. You will get them back again as you open programs.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:50 AM

You can delete the contents of C:\Windows\Applog also. Those are files that keep track of which programs you use for Defrag. They aren't really important. You will get them back again as you open programs.

I did a search for C:\Windows\Applog files

Here are the included file types:

IND file
TXT file
LGC file
DTC file
~~C file

These are all safe to delete?
Posted Image

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hey, would I steer you wrong? Besides, I'm too far away for you to hunt me down. :thumbsup:

The best way to clean up a computer is to run a program like Ccleaner than to hunt for files. Normal maintenance on a computer would be to run something like Ccleaner then to do a Scandisk and a Defrag about once a month.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

Hey, would I steer you wrong? Besides, I'm too far away for you to hunt me down.  :flowers:

The best way to clean up a computer is to run a program like Ccleaner than to hunt for files. Normal maintenance on a computer would be to run something like Ccleaner then to do a Scandisk and a Defrag about once a month.

No, I know you would never steer any of us wrong. :thumbsup:

I just like to check and double check before I do anything. Especially when it comes to deleting anything.

I do use CCleaner and also defrag and scandisk once a week.

It is just that these files seem to take up quite a bit of space. Which I could use. :trumpet: On the other hand if they come back it may not be worth it in the long run.
Posted Image

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:15 PM

Leurgy,
I don't think for a second you would steer me wrong. Why do ya think I asked you in the first place, silly. Besides, I think American Airlines is running a special to your hometown, :thumbsup: . Anyway, I'm just one of those who doublechecks this kind of thing. I would rather ask twice than have to fool with registry or more tech-related stuff. You have seen me in action. My expertise leaves lots to be desired, :flowers: .
Thanks for all your help. I'm going to get CCleaner and let it work for me. As long as you promise I don't have to use rocket science to run it and figure it out. Another site ( :trumpet: ) suggested I get EasyCleaner which is not only NOT easy but nobody there knows how to work it either. A total waste of time and useless.

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

TexasAngel67 : Leurgy sent me to CCleaner a couple of months ago and it is simple enough that even I could do it :thumbsup: My little 13GB HD was stuffed full of C*** (so full I could not do a defrag) and on CC's first run it removed a little over 4GB (that's not a typo; 4GB!) that MS Disc Cleanup never found. Amazing software.
I now run it every day just before shutting down and it trashes something between 20-30 MB's each time....stuff that would have been accumulating (again) on my HD.
The only mistake I made before the first run was NOT unchecking the box in CC for "cookies" and so it deleted all of them, making me re-enter names and passwords all over the place. Hope this helps your confidence. Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:06 PM

twinsdad you still are the current record holder as far as I know. :thumbsup:

Ccleaner has a new version as of 2/26/05. To install this new version just close the old one, download and install the new one. The update includes a tool to remove start up program entries in, appropriately enough, the Tools section, which also allows for the removal of stubborn programs you can't uninstall any other way. (Yes yogi, you could have used this). In the options section, twinsdad can click the cookies tab and save those cookies he likes from certain annilation. Simply select the desired cookie (bleepingcomputer.com in this case) from the left hand list and use the arrow key to move it to the right hand list. Now turn the cookie cleaning option back on. As far as the issues tab goes, this is best left alone unless you have a problem that you feel may be corrected by editing the registry. I don't recommend it as an everyday cleaning solution. The registry is best left alone.

Toni Art's Easy Cleaner is a good program too. This guy has been around for a long time and has been writing excellent free programs for years. Having said that, now that he has rolled the free ones into one program it seems a little bloated to me as the download is 2.6MB as opposed to Ccleaners 400Kb with almost as many features. However, it has useful features also and can be used to complement Ccleaner to perhaps perform a function that one seems to do one way and the other does differently. Something like Spybot and AdAware.

#13 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

Gosh, where to start...

I had to update everything (okay, beat me with a wet noodle), got CCleaner installed, and rebooted into Safe Mode.
Results:
Adaware - 26 registry items, 8 files, 1 folder. All removed.
Spy Sweeper found 27 items, 493 traces. It wouldn't do anything for me because I didn't buy it. I'm so upset about this since I'd had it for so long and it was free, until now. It found 168 traces of a Trojan Horse - 2nd Thought. So many yuckies and so many traces. Not sure what to do at this point.
CCleaner removed 117.4 MB. Woohoo!

Any comments?

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:11 PM

Yes ~67~ Why don't you check these out. All excellent programs. And the bonus is that they are free! :thumbsup:

Since Spy Sweeper found trojans and would not remove them. I suggest that you start with a-squared (aČ)

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster3.2

aČ currently detects around 50,000 trojans. Plus goes after dialers, spyware and worms.

a-squared (aČ) Free

Application to scan for spyware, adware, hijackers and other malicious software.

Spybot-S&D1.3
Posted Image

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

I just checked the malware data base of aČ. And the good news is that it detects:

Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.a
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.aa
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.ac
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.ak
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.an
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.ao
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.as
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.b
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.bd
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.be
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.bf
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.bg
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.c
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.h
Trojan.Win32.SecondThought.i

Link: To the complete list. Warning it is quite large and takes awhile to load.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/malware...wmalware=trojan

Edited by scarlett, 07 March 2005 - 09:29 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users