Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Conflict

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 strepo

strepo

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

i tried searching but it kept saying my characters weren't long enough, the error i keep getting is
Windows - System Error
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

any help will be appreciated

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Do you have any other PC online?

#3 strepo

strepo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

i dont have another PC online but i do have a PS3 online, and it started popping this error message when i hooked up the PS3

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Simple enough. Your PS3 is trying to use the same IP as your computer. Try this:

Go to Start, Run, type in cmd. Then type in:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Or alternatively, with your PS3 still hooked up and on, reboot your computer.

Of course, I should first ask, how are you connected to the Internet? Are you using a router, hub, etc? That can make a difference.

#5 strepo

strepo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

wireless router is how im connected,

#6 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Groovicus has given you the answer let us know how you get on

Edited by Pippincp, 21 January 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#7 strepo

strepo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

i did it and its been about 10 mins and i haven't had to pop up once, so do i just need to do this everyday or after im done playing on the PS3 every time

#8 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

In theory your router will now assign an IP address to whichever PC or Ps3 is connected (router treats both as a PC or internet device) so you shouldn't have the problem again.

Without knowing the router you are using I can't help further.

Your router manual should give you instructions on how to assign a dedicated IP address to a specific device(if it proves neccessary) ie your PC will have it's own and so will your PS3. Routers as a norm have 99 IP addresses to assign so the problem should not surface again.

As an example I have 3 PC's connected via a Belkin router the Router IP address is 192.168.2.1 That is the address of every Belkin Router but not my IP provider, so no security risk in putting it here.

My main PC uses 192.168.2.2 and the last figure changes with each PC. If you do nave future problems just unplug the power from your router and reboot it and it should sort it out itself.

Edited by Pippincp, 21 January 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

You can assign a static IP to your computer if need be.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

Each system gets an internal IP address from your router.
If you hibernate/sleep your system this may cause IP conflicts because the system will remember the old IP address when it's hibernated/asleep - but the router will be free to reassign the address.

Not sure how the PS3 works, but suspect that it's something similar.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users