Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was Refered Here From Hijack Forum

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

I was refered here by old timer from the hijack forum. He looked at my hijack log and said I had no malware problems. My computer is very slow. I dont know what to do. This is the computer that I use for work and its really screwing up my work because its so slow. In addition I am getting popups as well. I am hoping someone can help me. I would also like to network my laptop to my desktop so I can work from wherever. My hijack log is here in case you would like to look. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry718784

Edited by chugg, 21 January 2008 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Well so far you are doing well. You have supplied all the info we need to attempt to solve your problem.
Think about it, as you use it for work, so you should not be slow in suppling the neccessary info.
A real reccomendation for someone to do what you want. (If you don;t have your own PC)

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi chugg,

Have you taken a look at the troubleshooting checklist for slow computers?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

You might look at these also:

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

I looked over some of the programs you have installed...my suggestion would be to uninstall programs you haven't used in 2 weeks or so and which (IMO) are unnecessary (e.g., the Google toolbar) but chow down on CPU cycles.

I have to do this myself (because I like to install things that I "might" use in the future" but I have never complained of either of my systems being slow when I load them down like that.

The fastest systems are not those with the fastest CPUs, but those with the fewest programs installed. Do a clean install of XP sometime and install the bare minimum of programs...and compare it to what you normally install :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

Well so far you are doing well. You have supplied all the info we need to attempt to solve your problem.
Think about it, as you use it for work, so you should not be slow in suppling the neccessary info.
A real reccomendation for someone to do what you want. (If you don;t have your own PC)

Im sorry but I have no clue what you are saying here.

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

You might look at these also:

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

I looked over some of the programs you have installed...my suggestion would be to uninstall programs you haven't used in 2 weeks or so and which (IMO) are unnecessary (e.g., the Google toolbar) but chow down on CPU cycles.

I have to do this myself (because I like to install things that I "might" use in the future" but I have never complained of either of my systems being slow when I load them down like that.

The fastest systems are not those with the fastest CPUs, but those with the fewest programs installed. Do a clean install of XP sometime and install the bare minimum of programs...and compare it to what you normally install :thumbsup:.

Louis

I would like to unistall alot of these programs and I have no doubt that they are what is slowing my computer down. I am just afraid to unistall anything because I am not sure if its something that makes my computer run or not. Also, all of my icons are blue like I hilighted them. I hate that. That all started when I downloaded a pokergamer. I deleted the game but the icons remained blue. I am still getting popups that I can get rid of as well. I do not know much about computers, But I dont have the money to take it to get fixed. Help?

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

Just wondering if you followed OldTimer's instructions in post #4 of your HJT thread. If not, doing so might resolve some of the problems you're still having. I'm surprised that you're still getting popups, since OldTimer gave you a clean bill of health. Is there a chance you got reinfected through another download or by even going to a site to check out such downloads? (Game, screen saver, and similar sites are notorious for dumping malware onto computers.)

Anyway, if you're nervous about getting rid of programs, just post here the names of the ones you're thinking of uninstalling, and someone who knows about such things will help you determine whether it's safe to remove them.

Edited by Dialer, 22 January 2008 - 12:54 AM.

#8 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

Just wondering if you followed OldTimer's instructions in post #4 of your HJT thread. If not, doing so might resolve some of the problems you're still having. I'm surprised that you're still getting popups, since OldTimer gave you a clean bill of health. Is there a chance you got reinfected through another download or by even going to a site to check out such downloads? (Game, screen saver, and similar sites are notorious for dumping malware onto computers.)

Anyway, if you're nervous about getting rid of programs, just post here the names of the ones you're thinking of uninstalling, and someone who knows about such things will help you determine whether it's safe to remove them.

Actually now that I think of it I am not getting the popups any longer. I will have to monitor it for a few days. Yes I followed all of old timers instructions. I still cannot get all of my icons unhilighted though! Its driving me nuts! Thank you so much for your response.

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

Glad to hear you're not still getting the popups.

I just realized what you probably mean about your icons being "highlighted." Are you referring to a blue box behind the text of icons on your desktop? If so, try the suggestions in this post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=381787

As for this: "I would also like to network my laptop to my desktop so I can work from wherever," I suggest you post about that in the Networking forum.

#10 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

That link did work for taking the blue away from my icons and I thank you for that. As far as my computer being slow as hell I am assuming that I just have to live with that? To give you an example of how slow it is sometimes. If I click the start button. Sometimes it takes as long as 20 seconds for the start menu to come up. I have a feeling I may have too many processes running at the same time. But I am afraid to delete them because I dont want to delete something crucial.

Edited by chugg, 23 January 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Glad to hear you're not still getting the popups.

I just realized what you probably mean about your icons being "highlighted." Are you referring to a blue box behind the text of icons on your desktop? If so, try the suggestions in this post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=381787

As for this: "I would also like to network my laptop to my desktop so I can work from wherever," I suggest you post about that in the Networking forum.

Dialer. Since I followed that link it took away the picure on my backround and I thought everything was fine. But now when I try to respond to an email on my outlook. When I hit the reply button it closes my email all together. I work from home and I am now literly out of work all day. Someone please help if you can.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Have you tried the Repair option? When you open Outlook go to the help menu and select Detect and Repair
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

Have you tried the Repair option? When you open Outlook go to the help menu and select Detect and Repair
Mark

I tried this and so far so good. Thank you Garmanma! By the way. I love your pugs. I have 2 myself. Their names are fred and wilma.

Edited by chugg, 29 January 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:31 AM

it seems that doing a defrag as suggested on this thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/127297/outlook-extremely-slow/

has helped :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic