Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes When Opening En Map With Autocad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos Josť

Carlos Josť

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

I don't know what is going on with my AutoCad 2006 and 2005, that when I try to open a map it freezes. And when the AutoCad finally generates the map, it hangs up after I spend sometime working with other application. I would like to know if the problem is caused by a bad configuration, a file that is not compatible with my O.S or maybe this is caused by a lack of enough resources.

I am using Windows XP Service pack 2 home professional and my AntiVirus is NOD32 V 2.7. Besides, I have to mention that the AutoCad is a copy.

Hardware specifications.

512 DDR
256 ATI GRAPHIC CARD
80GB HARD DRIVE
2.41Ghr Intel Processor Pentium IV

I would like to know if there is someone who can help me with this problem.

Bye

Carlos Josť

Edited by Carlos Josť, 21 January 2008 - 04:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

I've never used AutoCad...but I don't think I'd try it with less than 1GB of RAM.

I can run XP with 384 doing mundane things and light video capture/editing...but memory-intensive things like rendering, using Office, etc. probably deserve some room to breathe.

If you don't want to add RAM, you can always try increasing your virtual memory settings to compensate.

Just my opinion, based on nothing :thumbsup:.

How much free space on that hard drive?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

Specs for AutoCAD 2007: http://www.avat.com/products/software/auto...ocad_sysreq.asp
Specs for AutoCAD 2006: http://caddmanager.com/blog/2005/03/autoca...quirements.html

Since the minimum is 512 mB of RAM - that will mean that you'll get the minimum performance level. Any additional running programs will take away from your resources, further slowing AutoCAD down.

The drivers for your video card may also affect this - so I'd suggest updating them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

I'd have to think that your problem might be one of configuration or a bad install because I too have Autocad 2006 as well as ACAD R14 on my Dell Latitude CPxJ650-PIII, 650 mghtz w/512 mgPC100 Ram- and even though I should not be able to run Acad 2006 with less than 800mghtz, I run fine with 650 and no freezes or crashes. I also run a couple of 3rd party apps that run inside of or w/Acad and no problems. You may want to try to re-install and pay close attention on your install of the configuration options and see if you can get better results because you certainly have alot more muscle available than I do and should be able to run better than I do with what you've got. Best to you...let us know what happens. Keep us updated.

Edited by drpepper55, 22 January 2008 - 12:40 PM.

#5 Carlos Josť

Carlos Josť
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

My hard drive is divided into two partitions:

PART. C HAS 5.54Gb free space
PART. D HAS 29.8Gb free space

Thank you guys for your help. I followed your advices, especially that to encrease virtual memory space; I increased it to 1500Mb (minimum) and 3000Mb (Maximum). I did some extra things like deleting some temporary internet files and some programs that were using more than 1.5Gb hard drive space, since the C partition was running out of space. Later I will increase the RAM for better peformance.

Thank you all for technical support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users