Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywarebot Oops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 newbie666

newbie666

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

Was just setting up new computer. Put on avg free first then went to download spybot but stupidly installed spyWAREbot.
have ran the real spybot it found three entries, all spywarebot. Said i could not remove as i am not the administartor but then seemed to anyway. however i know its not as easy as that and my computer is still running slowly. Uninstalled all virus software and installed official paid for kaspersky from pc world. It found nothing. However when starting pc it gives me a message at the early boot stage saying that something or rather is missing press cntl alt del to restart. Then all seems ok just running slowley. oh mind you, in the bottom right while running kaspersky it says: spywarebot2.zip ini is password protected???

AHH please help
Many thanks
newbie 666

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ok you probably need to install Spybot Search & Destroy again and Download and install Ad-aware 2007. To be honest kaspersky isn't the best and what are you going to do after it expires? Get something like SUPERAntispyware and/or Avast! Antivirus

This may help with the spywarebot problem.
Also run an online scan like BitDefender's
Spywarebot is not a virus but it is an untrustworthy program tricking people into paying for nothing:
Trusted: No, Trojan: No, Chronic: No, Adware: No, Carrier: No, Browser Hijacker: No, Dialer: No
Commercial Keylogger: No, Remote Administration Tool: Yes, Suspected: No

There are many, many websites offering fakes of Spybot S&D costing you money and infecting your computer. Be careful what you download and refer to the Rogue/Suspect Antispyware Products and Websites List

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 newbie666

newbie666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

Thanks very much. Will let you know how i get on. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

However when starting pc it gives me a message at the early boot stage saying that something or rather is missing press cntl alt del to restart.

It would be helpful if you could be more specific. What exactly is "missing"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 newbie666

newbie666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Sorry not sure what it was and hav'nt had the message again. Anyway tried all the stuff in the earlier reply and none of these programs found any thing. The computer is still running slowly, takes a while to load pages on the net and sometimes says "done but with errors". Also another thing is, i tried to down load spybot again as i have always used this before. But this time when i downloaded it, it came up in the system tray as their logo but with a padlock?? Also when i tried to update before a scan it gave me a list of countries and lots of other windows iv'e never seen. so i uninstalled which was successful but suspect. When i was just in final stages of removal it told me that spybot had found a change in my registry keys would i like to accept or decline. I diclined, don't know what that means??

I heard i can reinstall windows and rebuild registery keys from scratch. Is this complicated and do you think it could help?

thanks alot

#6 Webman

Webman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

Actually that happened to me too. I thought I was downloading Spybot Search & Destroy. I uninstalled Spyware Bot, and downloaded the real Spybot Search & Destroy. It found about four files related to Spyware Bot. Hopefully my problem's solved.

P.S. I hope the creator of Spyware Bot gets thrown in jail, sued big time, and has his website closed down.

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

To stop you accidentally downloading a fake AV program the Spybot addition to the HOSTS file blocks many websites offering rogue AV programs.
To get to it click Mode -> Advanced mode -> Tools -> Hosts file -> and click add spybot S&D list.

Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This

#8 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Also another thing is, i tried to down load spybot again as i have always used this before. But this time when i downloaded it, it came up in the system tray as their logo but with a padlock??

This was Spybots "Teatimer" this protects your overall system settings and asks you what to do when a change to the registry is made. If this happens during an Install/Uninstall then it should be legit but if it appears out of nowhere then its most likely a virus.

Also when i tried to update before a scan it gave me a list of countries and lots of other windows iv'e never seen.

There are many, many update servers around the world for Spybot, mostly in Europe.

When i was just in final stages of removal it told me that spybot had found a change in my registry keys would i like to accept or decline. I diclined, don't know what that means??

That was teatimer telling you about a registry change, and by declining you may have just stuffed up Spybots uninstallation. Don't worry installing spybot again should just overwrite it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users