Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Overheating

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Typewriter

Typewriter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

I put my computer together about a year ago, and it's a pretty good system (or so I think).

I've got 4 gigs of ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103759
X1950 Saphire Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102070
And my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811125448

I started playing through Neverwinter Nights 2 and the computer would get a bunch of artifacts and crash after 30 minutes to an hour. I was disappointed, but looked up the issue and saw that the game seemed to give a lot of people with good systems trouble. So I played through it with minimal settings and only had the occasional issue. Since then I only played the occasional game, and I had a bunch more heating issues - but I figured it was because my part of the apartment was really hot - so I put the computer right next to the AC vent.

Then I moved out of there and into my current place. I was fine for awhile then started having heating issues again. I bought a new fan (one of those that has a bendy neck - so that you can put it where you want). and placed it under the graphics card blowing up (hopefully to help clear out hot air from there).

Now I've picked up Crysis. It recommends I play on medium settings, but that only lasts 10 minutes before overheating. On low settings I can make it maybe 20. I've tried changing the flow of fans, taking off the side and putting a full size house fan right there blowing in, with the front and rear fans blowing out. Nothing seems to work. I currently have fan on it's side with the other side off(thinking maybe the heat will will rise up out of the case a little bit). The two front fans are blowing in, and the two rear are blowing out, and my current temperatures are:

SpeedFan:
Local: 35C
Remote: 33C
System: 39C
CPU: 39C
AUX: 38C
Core: 34C

and Catalyst control center says my card is at 37C

If anybody has any thoughts / ideas on what I could do to lower the temperatures a little bit I'd really appreciate it. Am I just going to have to buy a big tub and fill it full of mineral oil and dunk the whole PC into it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

Then I moved out of there and into my current place. I was fine for awhile then started having heating issues again. I bought a new fan (one of those that has a bendy neck - so that you can put it where you want). and placed it under the graphics card blowing up (hopefully to help clear out hot air from there).

The video card fan is pulling heat off of the chip and you're blowing it back on. Did you use a good thermal compound on the CPU heatsink? Did you check both heatsinks (underneath the fans) for lint build-up.
cleaning the computer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

those temps don't look that high

speedfan doesn't give a good reading of what component is getting that hot tho

coretemp is better for cpu temp

at idle your cpu core should be 35-40 at most

under extended full load 60C

your gpu would probably run even hotter

everest ultimate is good for identifying the components

your ram might even be the culprit?

cpu-z is good for seeing if your are running it stock like it should be

the northbridge chipset handles the video so keep a close eye on it

Edited by DaChew, 21 January 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Typewriter

Typewriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

I tried out the demo version of everest ultimate, and wasn't exactly sure what to try so I did the system stability test. Within 10 minutes the cpu was about where you expected (60), but it didn't go up again after that, and I stopped it after half an hour. I also tried downloading the demo version of 3dmark06 and it ran as well as I expected with no hitches. I also downloaded cpu-z but wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm also not sure what you meant by the northridge chipset.

I'm a bit new when it comes to the details of a computer, as I'm sure you noticed. I tried getting help from friends from work, but most people I know are very...opinionated...and I find that that sometimes causes them to not be as helpful as I would like.

Also - garmanma - I don't know what you mean about thermal compound. I do use canned air to clean the computer on a regular basis, but I'll try out the things from that link more thoroughly when I have time.

I appreciate the help you guys gave and would appreciate any other ideas.

#5 Typewriter

Typewriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

OK. So I had tried doing a bunch of tests, and I was going to start the game, then wait 5-10 minutes and get temps.

So, I start the game, and tell it to detect optimal settings. Keep in mind that at this point the game has been up for less than one minute. Here's what happened while it was detecting:

Attached File  HPIM1275.JPG   174.67KB   24 downloads

I no longer think this is heating (since it happened so soon after the game started) but I'm completely confused. Thanks in advance for any help anyone has to offer.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

regarding memory timings, here's an example from everest, I have highlighted the pertiment parts

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2249.97 MHz
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 250.00 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 25%)
Memory Bus 250.00 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-1408-000001-00101111-063005-K8T800P$A0036001_BIOS DATE: 06/30/05 17:34:14 VER: 08.00.09
Motherboard Name Asus A8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

I spent a lot of time setting this memory up

of course it was worth it, after 2 years few systems catch it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

Just guessing here - but have you uninstalled your video drivers and then reinstalled the latest, certified one's from the ATI website? Have you tried another video card to see if it's a physical problem with the card?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Typewriter

Typewriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

So, it turns out it was a driver issue after all.

I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling them several times before (the last time being less than a week ago). It seems that some file had gotten corrupted during the initial install a year ago, and whenever I uninstalled - it didn't delete that file. Someone advised me to open task manager and end a few processes before trying to uninstall again. I did so, then reinstalled - and now everything works just fine.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. Not long ago it was usually recommended that you run an uninstaller to ensure that all traces of the video drivers were gone (this was a huge problem with nVidia drivers but ATI also had it's issues). As driver development progressed this step fell out of favor - it looks like it may become necessary again! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for posting your solution It will help us and other forum posters in the future :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users