Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unintended Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daytonasteve

daytonasteve

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

Yesterday I loaded CA Security Suite. This morning when I started up the PC it was very slow to boot and about 10 seconds after the desktop finally appeared, it shut itsself off. It wasn't instant, it was like I did start, shut down. I repeated the exercise several times and same result. It was like what happens when the UPS shuts it down.

I started it in safe mode and no problems. I turned off all the CA stuff using msconfig and restarted in normal mode and everything was fine. Any ideas what might be causing this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Welcome to BC
Did you previously have another anti- virus program on your computer? If you did and you removed it with Add/Remove programs, chances are there are some remnants left on the computer causing conflicts. Programs such as Norton have Removal Tools you can download and run to get rid of everything. Did you buy CA Suite or was it provided by your ISP? Ratings for CA are minimal, at best: Review
I would suggest having a look at are Freeware applications section for other alternatives if you're not satisfied:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 daytonasteve

daytonasteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

All of the above. It had an old CA EZ trust and yes, this came from ISP. I used add/remove to delete the old version as well as a copy of Webroot SpySweeper. I'll remove the new version, unfortunately add/remove is the only choice, Odd that it was OK yesterday after I installed it but hey, I stopped trying to figure out "why" along time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users