Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to post this question?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KatsDad

KatsDad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:10 PM

Well, y'all helped me in January, so now I've created a BC account for
my 88-yr-old dad and his computer, trying to help clean it up. Amazingly enuf, he is able to IM me and get around the web pretty darned well, especially for an 88-yr-old! I use Juno at home, which has its own integrated browser and doesn't use Outlook Exp for email. My dad's computer does, tho, and this dialup thing has me scratching my head. Sometimes he can dialup by clicking on the internet explorer icon on his desktop ...however, sometimes that doesn't initiate a dialup and he has to open Outlook express via another desktop icon...once he gets into his email, the computer is on the 'net, after which he returns to the IE icon, clicks it and he has net access. Once there though, the home page, initially set as his personal "My Yahoo" comes up as February 2...which is the date I last sat at his computer and did some fixes...or so I thought....So, bottom line is the weird dialup thing...do I need to tweak some dial up settings ....and....how come does an outdated home page come up instead of today's date? We're running adaware here + spybot, haven't done HiJack This log yet. Should I?
Thanks!
...Kat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi KatsDad. We'd like to welcome you and your father both to BC.

First, what is his operating system? Windows 95/98/ME/XP?
Second, check his ISP settings via Internet Properties.
Third, be sure his cookies and cache are cleaned out weekly, at least.

~67~

#3 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hi Angel, My dad's running XP/Home. His security settings are at "medium".
Please advise how to proceed.
And shouldn't this topic be moved to the appropriate forum...(I don't know which it would be)...since I don't want to get you and I in trouble for seeking computer support on this chat forum. :thumbsup:

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

I am one of the Moderators here at BC and have moved this topic to a more appropriate forum so no worries, :thumbsup: . And we can't 'get in trouble' here. At least not for that.

Okay, he has WinXP. Let's start there. Is it possible for you to get the version of IE and are his updates current?

I'll move this to WinXP now that we know his OS. Feel free to get a HJT log just in case. But I'm hoping we can get some resolve with the things I've mentioned thus far. In other words, I am thinking the issue has more to do with updates, IE, cache, and internet properties. It doesn't seem like a hijack to me but forgive me for being less than an expert when it comes to WinXP. Luckily, we have lots of those here though. I think it's safe to assume that more people have XP than probably the other OS' put together, but then we shouldn't assume, should we? :flowers:
Regardless, we'll get this all fixed up for you and your dad. That, I have no doubt.
Let's start with these questions and let me know what you find out and then we'll go from there.

~67~

#5 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:19 PM

IE 6.0, Angel. He has Service Pack2 installed. I'm going to hop over to the Microsoft site and bring in the latest patches for him (I'm visiting and am sitting at his computer, thank goodness!) He finds it overwhelming to do much messing around with it, so I do what I can when I come home to visit. I just think it's totally amazing that the guy IMs with his daughters, checks the stock market and the news, emails family, etc. at age 88!

Here I go to the Microsoft site. The ball's in your court now?

You and your Bleeping buds are truly angels. Thanks mucho.

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

I am very impressed as well. Let him know he can do lots more than some half his age and younger. Way to go, Dad!
Okay, I'm gonna wait and hear back from you about the updates.
Don't foret to check his Internet Properties and Cache'.

Of course, I'm an angel, see my name? :thumbsup:

Happy to help.

#7 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

Angel, Dad is running IE 6.0. I just downloaded Spybot's updates and ran it, yielding two nasties. Upon logging on just now, Dad's home page has been updated (today's date, current time, etc). Hmmmm.. do you suppose Spybot has cured our troubles? And yes, his Windows XP updates are current.

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:11 PM

So far, so good. Keep us updated should anything change.

:thumbsup:

#9 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:37 AM

Ah geez, Angel, just logged in several hours later, after a complete shutdown and we're back to the same old problem....Dad's Yahoo Home Page comes up with the previous date and time of logging in...incorrect date, incorrect time. Back to our same 'ol/same 'ol. Suggestions? :thumbsup:

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:50 AM

Go into Internet Properties and change his homepage to something else.
Try http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ or http://www.msn.com/ or something else. Try that for a day or two, or just rebooting in between and reconnecting to the internet. Let me know if that page also has an old date on it.

BUT - before you do that, I want you to do something for me.

Click here. Sign up (it's free). Just create a screen name like you did here, the same one is fine too. Photobucket is a site that allows you to display images for sites like ours to see. It can be so useful.
Here's what I want you to do. When you connect to the internet and Yahoo comes up, take a screenshot of it showing the wrong date and time.

Here's how to do that (this is such a cool tip). You see on the top of your keyboard, there are a few buttons to the right. Prt Scr, Scroll Lock, Pause.
The Prt Scr means Print Screen. Just hit that button when you have Yahoo with the date showing on the screen. Then minimize everything.

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint. Paint will open up. Click the 2nd tab, Edit, then Paste. Your Yahoo screen will now appear. Click on the 1st tab, File, and click "Save As". Give it a name like Yahoo or Image or whatever you want. Save it to My Documents. Then close it. Check your email to see if your confirmation from Photobucket is done, it should be there, it's pretty quick. Go to the site again and sign in. Browse My Documents with the Browse button and find the image you just saved. It will upload it. When it is done, highlight the little window that shows the "URL" on it. Right Click, Copy. Come back to Bleeping Computer and click our "http://" button above. Paste the URL in the window. Click ok. It will say "My Webpage" which you can change to whatever you want or leave it.

This all sounds overwhelming but I can assure you, it's easy.
Remember, Dad is your inspiration. Look at all he can do. :thumbsup:
Any questions, just ask. I'm here for you.
:flowers:

#11 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

My Webpage
Geez I hope this works Angel. I created a photobucket account in Jan, when I first sought help from BC. Scarlett taught me how to get going. Let's see if I can get it to work again. Meanwhile, I'll go over and change Dad's home page and see what happens.

Also, upon each log in, Dad is receiving a popup "offering" a "DVD Decoder Upgrade" from the "help and support center". How do I get rid of that irritation?

On another note...and perhaps I should post this somewhere else...but I noticed in running Dad's Ad-Aware twice yesterday that some kind of nasty named "Tribal fusion" had been caught by Ad-Aware. And you know where I see it at the bottom portion of Dad's screen (when a page is loading)...on the BC home page, when I go to the BC URL. I can see "tribal fusion.com" loading as BC comes in. (Does this make sense? Do you Bleepers need to know...is there anything you can do about it if so?)

Off to change the home page and reboot. "News at 11:00!"
Gratefully,
..Kat

#12 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

Angel, I reset Dad's HPage to Bleeping, rebooted and it loads just fine (correct date and time). I'm going to change back to his Yahoo and see what happens.

#13 KatsDad

KatsDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Got this bright idea to create a whole new Yahoo profile for Dad...new user ID, new p.word, etc., then I set it as his home page. Reboot directly following yielded same results.."old" time of day. Bleahhhh. I gave up and re-set his home page to his ISP's home page. Grrrrrrr.

What do you think about the tribal fusion thing?

#14 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

Tribal Fusion is adware. Click here for removal instructions.
Please consider getting Spyware Doctor. It's a safe, free, totally awesome program that also helps in the fight against such spyware/adware.
I mentioned before about the cache and temp files. Please be sure they are cleaned out regularly. I'm wondering if an old cookie might help explain the old date on Yahoo, time and time again. Just a thought.

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

You might, if I can butt in here, want to run your AV, and spyware applications in safe mode and make another attempt to delete anything they find.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users