Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Memory For Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dixon02

dixon02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

As part of finding a way to improve the speed of my computer with the new Vista OS I went ahead and bought DDR2 DIMM memory because those are the next slots to fill up. Turns out that my motherboard does not allow DDR and DDR2 simultanously.
the DDR2 I bought both top to 2GB of RAM but that is what I have with the DDR. If I remove the DDR and instead use the DDR2:

a) Will it run at the same speed or will it be faster considering that DDR2 is supposed to be more efficient.

:thumbsup: Do I have to reconfigure the BIOS or will it do it automatically.

I will appreciate any inputs into this. Thank you for your support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

It depends on the speed of the DDR2 memory if it operates at the same bus speed then no depending on the latency of the module. "DDR2 memory at the same clock speed as DDR will provide the same bandwidth but markedly higher latency, providing worse performance." Reference:Wikipedia. The bios should automatically recognize it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users