Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking And Terms Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azure_fantist

azure_fantist

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hi there
I wanted to buy an internal dvd writer for my desktop which is Acer, a pioneer brand but with 2 kinds of models. Then I found some terms regarding about the writer like which i do not understand at all, hopefully you people can help me with it. They are as follows:(pioneer)
- internal with IDE interface
- Multi Effect Liquid Crystal Compensator
- use SATA motherboard with SATA writer
(anyway what is SATA? Do i have to check my desktop have this SATA thing before I can make a purchase for it and how to check?)

Hoping to have the above doubts answered before I spend my money in buying this writer. I apologise if this is in the wrong section...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

IDE and SATA are two different interfaces that connect the device to your motherboard, the IDE is a long grey cable

http://www.gshop.com.au/images/ide_133_cable.jpg

and the SATA is a thinner Orange/Red cable

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/...ata-cable-2.jpg

Yes you need to ensure that your motherboard can support SATA as the cable will have to connect to it from the writer. what is the make/model of the motherboard?

#3 azure_fantist

azure_fantist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

I'm actually a computer noob. Have no idea about the model of my motherboard? Have anyways to check for it?

Edited by azure_fantist, 21 January 2008 - 08:34 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Run Belarc Advisor. It will give you a lot of details about your computer, including the motherboard.
It can be downloaded here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users