Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

My computer did an automatic update and since then ads keep opening my IE while I'm using mozilla. How do I stop this annoying problem. It is seriously slowing my computer down. Is it okay to disable IE and if so how do I do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

Use the following software they should be able to "clean" up the problem. i dont know if you can actually disable or remove IE but i wouldnt really advise it anyway. Just ensure you have adaquate protection ie Firewall/Anti viris/anti spyware, and you should not be infected again.

download and install

spybot serach & destroy 1.5 (NEW)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/...

AVG Free
http://free.grisoft.com/

AVG Anti spyware
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/29116/u...

Lavasoft adaware 2007 free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products...

CW Shredder standalone
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html

run the updates for all of these programs, then go into safe mode and run them one by one not all at the same time. If you have another Anti virus tool then remove that before installing AVG free.

do this and then come back with results.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

TheHelp: what is the reason you advise Victoria to uninstall her current antivirus and installing AVG?While that may be what you would do, keep in mind that not everyone has a stand-alone av program.
If Victoria's antivirus is part of a suite, she will have to either uninstall the whole suite and in addition to installing another av she will have to get another firewall OR uninstall only the av component of the suite.

Victoria, when you say ads keep opening IE, do you mean IE is actually opening or just the ads?
Is Mozilla your default browser? That's really the only thing I know to ask.
I do agree that you should scan for malware.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 January 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#4 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

im sorry but i do not see anywhere that stated she already had a AV. But my personal views on any suits is that they are useless. Even AVG Suit is usless, reason is that they bundle more than one program in one for example, anti virus and forewall or anti spyware, if one of those softwares were to fail then usually (more so with norton) everything fails and you end up with a complete shutdown of your security.

i wasnt aware she had a AV which one is it you use?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

I also don't know what, if any, antivirus/firewall Victoria uses. She hasn't mentioned that and it isn't in her profile or other posts she's made. Mostly I was just wondering why you advised as you did-without knowing exactly what she has for computer security.
Like you, I'm no fan of suites-I dislike Norton and McAfee.
As for AVG, I use the stand-alone free antivirus, and haven't had any issues or problems with it.

#6 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

ahh dont you just love my template :thumbsup:
i generally use this for all queries re security or related issues. i just assume that if people are having problems like this that they are not running very good programs and to be honest i much rather use something that would work than something that doesnt ie as you mentioned norton and McAfee even if you have just renewed it and paid for it.

#7 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

I am using avast v. 4.7 home. I'm actually doing a scan now and I keep getting alerts saying adware and malware have been found. Two trojan horses have also been found. I'm doing what it recommends and moving these to the
"chest". I just got a notice saying it detected a virus in operating memory. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? It says to reboot and and have avast scan while in the boot phase. Again,

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

The thing to do would be to post the contents of the alerts so that we can actually see what is happening. It is possible that the malware has already been quarantined, and your AV is just finding it there, in which case there is nothing to worry about. Or it may be in the system restore, which is easy to take care of also. Or it may be in your browser cache. The point is, nobody should be giving advice without finding out all of the facts first so that we can accurately help.

ahh dont you just love my template

I'm sorry, but no I do not. It smacks of blind application without actually considering what is happening. Your opinion of malware suites should not be used an excuse to reconfigure someone's system, especially without explaining why one thinks it is necessary.

#9 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

I ran the avast and my computer is running faster but the IE keeps popping up with ads. What can I do to keep this from happening? It seems like windows put a program called spyguard pro when it did the update. Could this be the problem?

Edited by Victoria, 21 January 2008 - 03:40 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

Now we're making progress:

SpyGuard is a rogue anti-spyware program that is known to install a trojan to pop up fake warning messages in order to trick you into purchasing the full version of their product. SpyGuard may also download and install other software without your permission. SpyGuard is a popular rogue anti-spyware programs from the creaters of SpywareQuake, SpyFalcon, SpywareStrike, SpyAxe, and Smitfraud.

Since this is a security issue, I'll alert the security experts to your post-they will direct you further.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

It seems like windows put a program called spyguard pro when it did the update.

I should mention also that it did not come from a Windows update. It likely was installed when you surfed to a website that secretly downloaded an activeX control, or were tricked into installing it by clicking on a window, thinking that you were just closing the Window. You may want to start here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...yguard++removal

Or you can go here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

One of the team can help you, but it may take a few days before they can get to you. They are very busy. :thumbsup:

As an additional note, there are specialized tools that required to remove this type of malware. Although your AV can detect it, it can't remove it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users