Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Pop-up Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shishisenkou

Shishisenkou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

I have a problem with my Windows XP SP2. It all started after I removed a Vundo infection and installed Norton 360. There should be no traces of Vundo left. However, I have a bigger issue now. Windows Installer tries to install something every time IE 7 is loaded. It pops up three times, then goes away. After that, whenever a new window or tab is opened, it pops up once. I also loaded Word 2003 and it did it again. I'm suspecting this has something to do with IE, but I'm not done. After noticing that my language bar had gone missing, I first merged this with the registry. Probably not the smartest thing to do, now that I think about it. However, because that did not work, I enabled ctfmon.exe and tried to turn the bar back on through the regional settings page. However, this made things worse, as Windows Installer pops up while loading Windows Explorer now! I -->think<-- I can fix the Windows Explorer problem with System Restore, but I'm completely lost on the IE issue. I already ran the Windows Installer Clean Up utility, there was nothing in there that did not install correctly to my knowledge. Norton 360 is listed three times for whatever reason, though. It's very annoying to have to close multiple installer windows just to use IE. Firefox does not have this problem, strangely enough, but I have a few applications that use IE and nothing else. Somebody please tell me how to stop the installer from popping up, as it's very annoying. I'm posting this from my laptop, but my other computer is right here.

If a HijackThis log is needed, I'd be more than happy to provide one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:03 AM

Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from Microsoft, run it, and remove the offending program from it's list.

Please read the following article in it's ENTIRETY before proceeding. It will work's on most 32 bit versions of Windows and some 64 bit versions. It is not recommended to be used with 2007 Office system products. There are other warnings and disclaimers in the article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

EDIT: version info

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 21 January 2008 - 07:09 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Shishisenkou

Shishisenkou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Believe it or not, I already tried the utility. It didn't help. After doing a little experimenting, I've found that Windows Installer now runs whenever anything happens, whether it be firefox, the recycle bin, or even while trying to delete or move a file. My dad is going to take the computer in to a repair place tomorrow, but I want to save him money. If I should leave the problem to the repair people, then please tell me.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315346
Method #2 reinstall
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Vundo sits in you temp IE files and also firefox temp files as well as everywhere else. Most AV progs will remove it from "everywhwere else" but not the temp files and therefore it keeps re-loading. There is a fix, I had vundo a few weeks ago and it took me ages of googling to find it.

Ican't find the link now though I still have the app The file is called FxVundoB.exe and was released by Semantec. If you can't find it I'm willing to send it to you or anyone else for that matter. Just PM me.

Pip

#6 Shishisenkou

Shishisenkou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:18 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315346
Method #2 reinstall
Mark

Tried it, didn't work. I guess I'll just have to let my dad take the computer in, as it's now 2:17 am. Oh well, thanks for trying to help, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users