Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing The Registry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sumac

Sumac

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

I am trying to edit the registry to allow my Zen Micro to be detected by WMP and Creative software. I was told to go to

registry editor, HKey Local Machine, System, Current control set, and enum. I then right click, select permissions, select

everyone and select full control and read. When I try to do this it tells me " unable to save permission changes on enum,

access is denied." Any ideas how to get around this? I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi, Sumac, First I will offically warn you "EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN SEVERELY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER"
Try this, open regedit in C: windows >right click regedit.exe and run as Adminstrator.

Edited by Monty007, 21 January 2008 - 04:01 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info Monty but it gives me the same error message, will not allow me to change permissions.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

It's likely that the Security settings for that branch of the registry aren't allowing you to edit them. Try right clicking on the key concerned and select "Permissions" then grant yourself the permissions necessary to do this (may require taking ownership of the key also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Thanks usasma but it would not allow me to do that either, any other ideas? :huh:

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hello,

This link could prove usefull for the situation http://technodigits.wordpress.com/2007/07/...-windows-vista/ unlocking the secret admin account.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

Did you take ownership of that key? It's the Advanced button in the Permissions dialog, then click on the Owner tab to take ownership (in my system it's got Administrator as the owner).

Just a thought, but could there be a virus on your system that's making the changes impossible? To get a free, independent scan (to ensure that your current protection hasn't been messed with) go to these links:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/sandbox...s%2Fdefault.htm (Requires Internet Explorer)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hmm I have a question. Two actually.

First, why would anyone want to give Everyone the FULL control of the Hardware Enumeration Key thus allowing everything
from viruses, trojans, and possibly remote user uninhibited access to your computer?

The key you speak of is heavily protected and it can be changed but you have to bend over backwards to do this.
This is not recommended.

Next, Why wouldn't you just download the software and driver from Creative's website which has a driver and software for
Windows Vista that will tie the Zen Micro to WMP and the Creative Software that is meant for Vista?

Answer these questions and we can better assist you.

#9 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well, RandomUser, I am trying to edit the registry because that is what Creative suggested I do since I can not get WMP 11 or The Creative software programs to detect my Zen Micro.

#10 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

I would approach this slightly differently.

Ergo,

I would uninstall your Zen micro and Creative software. That's right, uninstall.
Download the versions of Creative Software for XP Pro, that's right, XP Pro.

Then start the computer in safe mode using the administrator account.

Right click on the installer's and choose properties, and under compatibility select XP Service Pack 2
Also choose the option to Run as administrator as this will be important.

Reboot the PC in normal mode and install the XP software for you Creative Zen Micro and the Creative Suite Software.

After you install the Software you can't run it right away. The installed software is seperate from the installers.

You'll have to perform the same step with the software program(s) themselves as you did with the installer(s).

You should then be able to use your Zen Micro in XP compatability mode.

Let us know if you have more questions or if this works.

This worked for me on several Creative products.

#11 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Thanks RandomUser, I will try your advice if I can get the Creative programs uninstalled. When I try to uninstall them from "uninstall or change a program" it says that setup.exe has stopped working. Any idea what is going on there?

#12 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the advice RandomUser, but no go. First of all my computer tells me I can't use compatibility mode in safe mode. So I changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP and checked run as admin. in normal mode. The programs would not even install because as soon as set up starts it says it can't run because "setup is unable to detect a supported product on you system." Any other ideas anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users