Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup apps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 naval

naval

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

my computers acting so slow it seems tired,
i'm thinking i need to find out all the processes
that start on start-up, but where can i find out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

my computers acting so slow it seems tired,
i'm thinking i need to find out all the processes
that start on start-up, but where can i find out?

There are a ton of things that start with your computer, but if you don't know what's necessary and what isn't, a list won't do you much good.

You can see what is currently running on your computer by pressing ctrl-alt-delete once and looking at the list, but again, you have to know what's supposed to be there. Sometimes, malware is obvious.

You might be able to gain some speed by going to your Services directory and remove those services which are unnecessary, but many of them depend on each other and you can mess things up if you disable the wrong one.

For a report of all startup items, you can use a program called Startdreck to generate a report. For information on disabling services, you can go to Black Viper's site.

Startdreck

Black Viper

Or, you may wish to follow the instructions here to help remove spyware and post a HijackThis! log in the HijackThis area of this forum. Be patient, all helpers donate their time and will get to you as quickly as they can.

#3 naval

naval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:45 PM

thanks a lot for your advice hert.
i just went through my startup list through
www.processlibrary.com
i found one worm.