Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware 2007 Free Has Running Processes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

i am going to miss adaware SE. it no longer can be updated.
lavasoft is offering up adaware 2007 for free. i have heard that for 2 weeks it provides real-time protection (supposedly, it is in "pro" or "plus" version for 2 weeks). i would prefer to just use this tool as an on-demand scanner in safe mode.
is there any way to investigate whether these processes are running in either:

1. task manager
2. startup list

can anyone tell me what to look for and how to shut it down if it is running?

thanks, Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

It might be easier to use an application like ProcessExplorer or the SpybotS&D tool (Process List) to check for these; either will allow you to shut it down.
Regards,
John

Here is a link to Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Edited by jgweed, 21 January 2008 - 10:29 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 gizmondo

gizmondo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

I've tried to kill this process using Task Manager, Process Explorer and Winpatrol Pro and it keeps re-entering itself. I also have the free version of Adaware. This process has been running since Nov 07 ..... unbeknownst to me. I wonder if it conflicts with my SpySweeper?

Hmmmmmmmm .........

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I don't have Ad-Aware 2007, but if it is structured anything like the paid version of Ad-Aware SE Plus, what you need to disable is Ad-Watch. Ad-Watch has its own control panel. You can call it up by clicking on the magnifying glass thingy in the system tray. You will want to navigate to the tools part then "Options". There you can uncheck the option to "load at start-up."

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

gizmondo, Your can't just go in an KILL a process that's running. (Actually some can be so killed, but it's not safe for most things)
I don't have that ad-aware, but I suspect you need to read HELP and find a way to disable some resident watch, like OrangeBlossom said. If all else fails, as mentioned before, simply prevent it from starting up using msconfig or Spybot's startup list, the latter being safer. Then recheck in services that after reboot the service is not running and disabled.

Editing my sweeping generalization "Your can't just go in an KILL a process that's running".
Ad-aware 2007 includes Outpost firewall. In the context of security software running on the computer, said software will protect itself from changes. Attempts to kill any such process often are doomed. Very likely that is the case here. Most likely an attempt to kill it at startup will fail as well. So adjusting the settings is likely the only option. And yes, more and more security applications are now running as a service, include drivers, etc. A-squared free is one example of the new style.

Edited by tos226, 21 January 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

jgweed,
will check out the link. always good to hear from you.

gizmondo,
adaware and spy sweeper are both antispyware, so they probably conflict.

orange blossom,
maybe adwatch served a purpose in the beginning. one day i clicked on it and i got a message like "adwatch is only functional in the plus and pro version" so i deleted the icon.
was it at pcworld that we used to chat? i am no longer able to log in there. that site is buggy.
always good to hear from you.

tos226,

Ad-aware 2007 includes Outpost firewall

are you sure about this? is it running by default? i don't need a second firewall.

more and more security applications are now running as a service, include drivers, etc. A-squared free is one example of the new style.

i am also using asquared free 3.1 as an on-demand scanner. are you saying this programme has running processes or is on the startup list? i like the programme, but i prefer to update my on-demand programmes manually.

thanks for all the replies, Ed

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

orange blossom,
maybe adwatch served a purpose in the beginning. one day i clicked on it and i got a message like "adwatch is only functional in the plus and pro version" so i deleted the icon.[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting. Deleting the icon, however, does not remove that part of the program, just the shortcut. I knew that Ad-Watch isn't active with the free version, but if the trial period is fully functional then this would be the active process, unless the 2007 version has added something I don't know about. What happens if you click on the AdWatch button in the control panel for the AdAware program? In my version, this either loads or unloads Ad-Watch and will also call up its control panel.

[quote name='ejames82' post='719299' date='Jan 22 2008, 02:11 AM']was it at pcworld that we used to chat? i am no longer able to log in there. that site is buggy.
always good to hear from you.[/quote]

I've never been on pcworld. I would have to have been here, since I don't think I've seen you on the WordReference forums which is language related not computer related.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

orange blossom,
maybe there is more than one orange blossom, but i don't think so. it was a different avatar at the time. it probably was right here at bleeping computer that you helped me with a problem (actually more than one).
adwatch is not on the add/remove list, but can still be found in start>programs>adaware. when i click on it, my kaspersky proactive defense pops up a window informing me of an attempt by adwatch to make a registry change. also, a window pops up from adwatch stating that "adwatch is only available in the pro and plus versions" why would this program try to get into the registry? by the way, i do have the free version of adaware 2007.

unless the 2007 version has added something I don't know about

that's unlikely.
i must admit that there isn't a problem with the computer. it's going to take a little while to become familiar with this programme.
thanks for the reply, Ed

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

adwatch is not on the add/remove list,

It wouldn't be there because it is a PART of Ad-Aware.

but can still be found in start>programs>adaware. when i click on it, my kaspersky proactive defense pops up a window informing me of an attempt by adwatch to make a registry change. also, a window pops up from adwatch stating that "adwatch is only available in the pro and plus versions" why would this program try to get into the registry? by the way, i do have the free version of adaware 2007.

How long have you had the program installed? According to your first post, it functions as the Pro version for the first two weeks. The pop-up that says it is only available for the pro version is the company's means of trying to get you to buy the program so you have Ad-Watch. I've had other programs do that. The part in question would function, but that pop-up screen would come up and tell me that it is only available in such and such a version or in the professional or paid version.

Ad-Watch would make a change in the registry for a couple of reasons: 1) If you hadn't activated it and it is still in the initial two weeks, it would want to add an entry to the Run at Start-up section. 2) If the two weeks have expired, then it would be attempting to REMOVE that same entry.

What Ad-Watch does: Alert you to changes to the registry, not all but many much in the same way that Tea-Timer with Spybot does. It also can be configured to block pop-ups, block suspicious processes, block tracking cookies. It can lock the start-up section which means that when you install a new program and it wants to run at start up, you will need to approve the change through Ad-Watch. It also means that it will block unwanted programs from running at start-up. The idea is that if something bad did get on the computer and want to run from the start up, Ad-Watch will alert you and you can block it. It can lock executable file associations which means that it will keep a .exe file from opening or running what it's not supposed to. I think this means that if something masquerades as a legit file that isn't, Ad-Watch will alert you and you can block it.

Have you called up the task manager, Ctrl, Alt, Del, to see if Ad-Watch is running under processes? If you see it there, then you know that you need to deactivate it.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users