Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu And Dialup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

So I recently reformatted my computer and I now have XP + Ubuntu 7.10 dual-boot. I did all the updating at my friend's house since he has a cable connection. I have a modem and dial-up, and I believe Ubuntu has found my modem, but I'm not sure because I have no way to connect that I know of.

REMEMBER: I CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERTUBES TO RUN SYNAPTIC OR THE ADD/REMOVE PANEL.

Any suggestions have to be things that I can download in a package on my XP partition and execute later. I'm completely lost here, and all I want is to get connected to my dialup on my Ubuntu Partition.

I am sufficient in linux, I know how it operates, but I'm lost in this situation. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:43 AM

Not familiar w/Ubuntu, but AFAIK, just b/c the firmware shows up as recognized doesn't mean drivers are compiled into the kernel or modules available. Do you have any idea what kind/brand the modem is? Is it internal PCI, external, USB, etc?

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hahaha, I just found the drivers. It's an Intel 536EP Modem. I downloaded the kppp .deb file, installed everything, and it all works perfectly.

Thanks anyway to everyone who bothered to read this thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users