Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Options For A Pci-e X8 Slot.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yellowbook

yellowbook

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

I recently bought a rather cheap computer and was dismayed to find that there is only a PCI-E x8 slot on the motherboard, where I'd assumed that there probably would be a x16. Are there any options for this computer as far as video cards go? I can't find a single manufacturer that makes one. Are x16 cards in any way compatible with the x8 slot? Do I have any hope or will this computer be destined to never run a game with good graphics? Thanks and I hope I'm not repeating a common question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hi yellowbook and welcome to BleepingComputer.

A PCI-E X 16 card will not fit in a PCI-E X8 socket, but there is an adaptor that for a PDI-E X8 to PCI-E X16. The only advantage in this is that you can use the PCI-E X16 graphics cards. The down side is that the card will operate at the X8 bus speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yellowbook

yellowbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

Well I contacted a customer support being and he or she said that it in fact does have a pci e x16 slot. Do you know where I could find a picture of a 16 and an 8 slot online and compare it with what's in my computer?

The companies website says it only has pci-e x8 but it appears that someone is a little confused as to what they put in their machine.

Edited by yellowbook, 21 January 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

http://www.ameri-rack.com/PCI-EXPRESS.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yellowbook

yellowbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

That's a really small picture, I can't really tell. Maybe you can look at my motherboard and tell me? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9505/f018bp8.jpg

Oh and what about the little one? That is such a weird looking port.

Edited by yellowbook, 21 January 2008 - 12:58 PM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

The big yellow one is a PCIe x16 slot, although it may be only x8 electrical. The small yellow one is a PCIe x1 slot. The white ones are PCI slots.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 yellowbook

yellowbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

The big yellow one is a PCIe x16 slot, although it may be only x8 electrical. The small yellow one is a PCIe x1 slot. The white ones are PCI slots.

That's great news, thank you. As long as it will fit and work, I don't mind too much if it works at half speed. I'm used to an old AGP slot 4/8 card anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users