Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Be Something Is Not Hooked Up Properly Inside?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tiara

Tiara

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Ok so just a quick bit of background on the computer... Its just a year old the start of this month and about 2 or 3 months ago the hard-drive crashed, I called Dell and they got me to try this and that and the other and nothing helped, they came to the cdonclusion that it was the hard drive and sent me a new one... we took the old not working one to a computer shop to get my 500+ pictures off of it and when we went to pick it up they said there was nothing wrong with it and to hook it back up and check for ourselves, I never did because it scared the bejesus outta me touch the inside and we cant afford to pay someone again for it so we're using the new one. Anyway the day before yesterday out of the blue with nobody touching the computer the blue screen of death appeared just like last time with no warning, no new programs or anything new installed. I tried rebooting and after the Dell logo appears theres nothing!! The screen just goes black. I tried booting it with the XP disk with no luck because the only options it gives me wont work, and I tried starting it in safe mode which also wont work. The utilities disk that came with it has some diagnostics on it and after an hour or so trying I finally got that disk to work but it wont do any of the OS tests or the Hard drive error tests, it just keep saying 'IDE device failed: Timeout waiting for IRQ'. so after this long story (sorry) do you think it could be something simple like the hard drive isnt hooked in properly or has come loose or something? It just seems weird that the old hard drive worked at the shop but not here and then now this one with almost the same symptoms as the last one. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, and again Im sorry this is so long!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

When I had similar problems, it was my motherboard that went - twice in 3 months, as well - and the HD was fine.

Turned out the problem was the computer overheating. That's as far as I can go with any suggestions, but presumably one of the experts will come by and help you out.

Good luck!

#3 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

OK so just thought I would add that I went into the Boot Device Menu and attempted a hard drive diagnostics test and it said....

Drive 0: -Error attempting diagnostics
Drive 1: TSScorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632D - Diagnostics not supported

Test Complete, press ENTER to reboot.

I wasnt sure if this was importnant but just thought it might help!! ;)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

What tool did you use for the hard drive, Dell's? The best one is the one for the brand of drive you have. You can download it from the mfg's support site. This would be more preferable than Dell's diagnostics. As dialer said, overheating can cause myriad of problems. Cleaning the inside should be done once a year:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/ It could be a loose cable or a failing power supply. If it were me I'd clean out the insides and definitely try the old drive again and make sure all connections are secure. Working on the insides is fairly simple. Just remember to unplug the machine and take your time, taking notes if you need to. I should add that Dell's support site has very good service manuals online that shows the disassembly procedure. Give us the model and model number and we can provide you a link to them
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 20 January 2008 - 09:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

Theres a Drivers and Utilities CD that came with it and its the only CD I could get to do anything or go anywhere. I tried 2 XP disks and neither of them would work either even after changing the boot sequence. When I pop in one of the XP disks, something very quickly flashed on the screen but its so fast theres noway I can see what it is, then you can hear the computer get loud and the fan come on, then the screen goes black and nothing happens. The Drivers and Utilities CD has the diagnostics thing on it and thats what I used. I hope it is something simple like the fan but in teh diagnostics thing all the fan tests passed, the test did keep failing on all the SATA tests though. Im sooo computer illiterate but too stubborn to give up just yet... lol, typical woman i guess. Anyway thanks for replying and anymore suggestions are appreciated.

#6 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

As I just sent that last message and was staring at a black screen the XP CD that I had in started and the install windows screen came up, but before I could press anything or even read anything the UGLY BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH popped up!!! Any ideas on why??

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

Please include the info from the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) so we can have a go at troubleshooting it. Here's some more info on how to locate the error messages: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

Since this is a hard drive error and there's some suspicion that it may not be the hard drive - I'd start to suspect the connection between the hard drive and the laptop. Try double-checking that (with the system unplugged and the battery out) to see if that helps. Blow the case out with a can of compressed air and check to see if your fan spins when the system is warmed up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hi there... since the last post I cant get the BSOD to come up anymore, even when I try to boot from the XP disk it goes to a black screen and wont go any farther where as that day of the post everytime (5-6 times) I tried to boot from disk it would start but then quickly go to the BSOD. I cant get into windows so I cant look into the event viewer to check what the msgs were. Sorry about that! If I get it again I will be sure to write everything down. Oh and its a desktop not a laptop and Ive taken the hard drive out and followed the wires to the other end checking them over with a fine tooth comb for any knicks or anything and they all looked completely intact. I also held the drive in my hand after a restart to see if the fan worked and it did. One weird thing I noticed was when I got to a spot that I cant find again, I could actually type something in, but it said I should only do it under the supervision of Dell Support. It had f:\ so I just typed in c:\ dir to see what it would say and it had the info but it said it was created today, but then at the bottom it said unable to locate c:\ Not sure if that meant anything but just thought I would add it just in case.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

When the screen goes black is the computer still running? Power supply fan CPU fan spinning?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Try running a bootable diagnostic utility available from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) - let us know the results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Yes everything is still running when the black screen is there, even every once in a while it will make the (fan) noise like the CD is going to start but it does nothing. Its not like the color of the screen when the computer is off, you can tell its on its just not loading or whatever. Also Im in the process as I type this on re-running some of the diagnostics from the Dell Resource CD, the Seek Test is 83% done, just so I will know exactly what it says so I can post it here. Thanks again for all of your help!!

#12 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

Ok so all of the tests just got finished and they all passed except the audio part... there is no sound coming from inside the computer other then the occasional beep. But the fan test and all the hard drive tests passed. Now what?? Did I mention yet that this is extremly frusterating?? lol

#13 SidMarin

SidMarin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

i wish that i know a lot about computer.. can anyone help?

#14 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

On one of my other posts where I was asking about how to run a command prompt, someone said that the diagnostics Im doing are a waste of time. Since Im no good at this stuff or have any idea what Im doing can you reccomend something other then the diagnostics Im using? If so, do I just download it to this computer and burn it on to a CD then pop it in the other computer and hope for the best? Thanks again everyone!!!

#15 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

Can we try a simple solution first? When you boot your laptop go to the BIOS screen normally this is done with the delete key but some are different but it will tell you on the POST screen.

Once there check if the BIOS shows your HDD. If not try the simple way power down your laptop remove and replace the connections to the HDD and on the MOBO.

This may not work for you but you'ld be surprised how many times it sorts out the problem. Total time about 10 mins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users