Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding And Removing Duplicate And Unused Files

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Penn Hess

Penn Hess

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

I have a Lenovo laptop running windows XP SP2. In the last two weeks, 5 Gigabytes of the hard drive has been filled without knowingling downloading anything near that large. There used to be a program from Quarterdeck called Cleansweep that let you find unused, duplicate, and unneeded files. Is anything like that available?

I have searched and removed tmp and temp files, after turning on view hidden. I have flushed my interent cache. I have downloaded and run ad-aware, spybot, and ccleaner. None found anything. I have also run hardware diagnostics with nothing found.

thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

You can try this software http://foldersize.sourceforge.net to figure out what the disk space is used for. I think after that you can know why your 5B has been filled.

Posted Image

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

Rather than using 3rd party programs have you used Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup? One program I use is CCleaner. It cleans temp files of windows and many common programs. Download CCleaner(, There are other tools like XP Smoker but thats mainly tweaks and its shareware).

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

Yes I have run disk cleanup, defragmented, and run ccleaner several times. My guess is that I have a bunch of download fragments or something sucking up disk space.

Thanks for the reply.

#5 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Try a search go Start -> Search -> All files or folders. In the "What size is it?" tab specify 5GB and see if a random folder turns up with that size.

Once I had a word document that somehow blew up into 799mb :thumbsup: Never figured out why...

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hello Penn Hess,

This sounds like it might be "déjà vu" all over again. :thumbsup:

Someone else just recently encountered a similar problem with a Lenovo computer. This particular case was using Vista, but it sounds more like a Lenovo-software-specific problem than a problem with Vista.

See the following thread for a discussion of the problem and the solution. This may be what you are encountering:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=713122

#7 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

M...

I don't think this is eactly the same problem but it does give me a couple of new thinkgs to look at.

#8 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

I doubt duplicate files are causing your problem but to answer your original question, try Duplicate File Finder, a freebie that you can download from Download.com. I've used it for a couple of years now.

#9 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

kalmly,

Thanks for the pointer. This looks like what I am looking for.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hmmm...I guess I have to wonder how you made the connection between...5GB of space disappearing (do you run System Restore, have a pagefile, employ hibernation, have malware) and deleting duplicate files which may be necessary by programs.

In any case, I also have used Duplicate File Finder. In my case, I used it to locate multiple copies of graphics and music files which I tend to make when I shift from one computer to the other (on a home network).

I would not use it to locate any files that would be system files or program files...but that's just the way I approach things.

Another thing to realize is that varying programs (e.g. Norton Internet Suite, Norton AV, etc.) make backups of items which users have tried to delete.

Louis

#11 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

It is a 30Gig drive that had been running with 6 to 7 Gig free. It started running really slow so I did the usual file clean up and when I started to defrag the drive I saw that there was only a bit over 1 Gig free. That was after I emptied the recycle bin and deleted all temporary files.

I had done a system restore about a week before this.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

This is unrelated...but I would suggest running chkdsk on that drive. One of the things which chkdsk does is tally up the free space available on a partition/drive.

And no mentioned (probably doesn't want to) but malware is also a possible source of unaccounted for fluctuations in hard drive space. I guess everyone assumes that you have the proper safeguards against such installed, updated, and running...but it's worth mentioning.

Louis

#13 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Louis,

Thanks for the ideas. I have run chkdsk several times as well as various malware, spyware antivirus programs.

After my last post, I loaded and ran windirstat. It reports 20Gig unknown! I can account for about 6Gig of that. It looks like I have been bitten by the Lenovo hidden backup files issue listed on other threads here. That will be my next investigation.

Penn

#14 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Problem solved

The Lenovo backup chewed up 20Gig of the harddrive for backups.

I Backed up the user data, used a set of recovery disks to set the computer back to its delivered state. I then disabled the Lenovo backup and restored the user data. So far, the computer is working fine and there is plenty of room left on the harddrive.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. WinDirStat was the key that showed me all of the "lost" space.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Kudos to M.. and we're all glad you solved it. Happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users