Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yellow Triangle On Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow_180

Shadow_180

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

Every so often whilst running applications (games mainly) the program appears to freeze, and the sound will play in a 'broken loop' for a few seconds (i.e. repeat the same part over and over). The screen will then go black, and after a few more seconds the program will be back to normal (Unless it's an online game in which case the game's protection shield will close it down).

After this a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears in the notification area of the task bar. Clicking it does nothing/opens no menus. In the 'customize notification items' window it is called "".

I've read around for help with this and tried;
- uninstalling all Adobe products
- checking for any suspicious processes in the task manager (though to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for)
- Running scans using AVG anti-virus, AVG anti-spyware and SUPERantispyware
- Running SmitFraudFix.exe as detailed here

I've uploaded a picture of the triangle here

I'm a technical newb, so if you're kind enough to help, please be patient with me! ^^;

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

My experience of this has only been on XP but the only time I have ever seen an exclamation triangle in the taskbar is when I've run out of RAM for the system or graphics card (graphics cards only in certain configs). Windows may be increasing your page file on your hard drive and shifting some stuff on to it, which could be causing running programs to freeze momentarily.
Is your graphics card dedicated or shared?
How much RAM do you have?
The default pagefile setting is "Let windows define my page file size" You could try setting this to a manual setting, possibly about 1gb.

Hope this helps!

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Shadow_180

Shadow_180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

Ironically, manually setting the page file size made the problem worse (I was getting freezes every 2 seconds!) but helped me to find a solution of sorts.

This time a message appeared over the triangle - "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Found it in my drivers and reverted the whole lot of display drivers back to the original ones.

The problem isn't fixed, but it is now tolerable. After doing this I got only one 'freeze' as opposed to about 10 whilst playing my game >_>

When I get the chance I'll work my way through the event viewer trying to find the cause of all the warnings and resolve them, as hopefully this will completely remove the problem eventually.

Thanks for your help Tomo. Mods can consider my issue resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users