Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Online Scanner Triggering Activex Warnings In Pc-cillin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Benvolio

Benvolio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hi guys,

I've been preparing to post a HJT log for my parents' computer, following the guidance set out. I thought I'd also run through it on my computer for good measure (and also to see if my parents' computer really is running as slow as we think)

As part of the preparations, I used the BitDefender online scan which removed a few old cookies on both machines but now I am left with an orange PC-cillin alert of suspicious changes. When I click Manage Changes it gives me the following details.

ActiveX and other downloaded software (1 change detected)
-BDSCANONLINE control

SOFTWIN(System Change)

Risk Level: Low

Description:
You have downloaded and installed new software from a web site through Internet Explorer. This software permits the installation of still other software components with even more access to your computer without your approval (so-called "drive-by downloads"). Once enough downloaded components have accumulated on your computer, very dangerous software can start running without your permission.

Details:
Description: BDSCANONLINE Control
Source URL: http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
Component File(s): C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandellang.ini,C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\live.ini,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\scanoptions.tsi,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\lang.ini,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ipsupd.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bdupd.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\libfn.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bdcore.dll,C:\
Company: SOFTWIN
Product(s): bdscanonline

Recommendation:
Although suspicious, this new software or change may serve a legitimate purpose. Please investigate further before taking steps to correct this possible problem.

The alerts pop up unexpectedly and when I open Add/Remove programs, or running any other program (or at least some, including Notepad & Calculator, to mention some base level programs)

I have clicked Allow on the alert but it keeps coming back. If I choose to undo them they will be blocked permanently... great for stopping the alerts (presumably) but what if I need to use the online scan again? Will it be affected?

My parent's also use PC-cillin so I expect to see the same happening there when I go back to it but they had other issues to start with...

I can't find anyone else mentioning this here, which I thought was rather odd given the number of members that must have used it...
Am I OK to just remove the files mentioned? There is nothing in Add/Remove to uninstall it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

While I am far from an expert, it appears that you are simply being notified that some part of BitDefender software was installed on your computer to enable you to run its test. Since you trust BD, there is no need to be concerned.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Benvolio

Benvolio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply but the issue is that it keeps alerting me every time I run anything and it interrupts the flow. For instance, I was notified of updates for PC-cillin because so I clicked to download them and started typing this reply. Then an alert popped up for BitDefender and took focus so my typing was ignored until I clicked back, then it did it again when the updates were complete.

I don't mind re-installing the BitDefender ActiveX controls again if I want to scan at a later date but I don't know how to remove them and can't see a way of ignoring them. However many times I click Allow it seems to forget :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users