Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Install Not Reading Hdd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MotherNature66

MotherNature66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

After battling with a virus that I could not remove I decided that the only real fix was a full reformat & clean reinstall of XP home. The install went fine. I have always run a 20gig HDD that has windows on it & also an 80gig HDD that holds our pics/music/games etc. I find now that XP isnt seeing my other HDD(80gig one). All the numers(name) is on the screen when I first boot up and I can see the HDD in device manager. Its not seen in My Computer though & I cant access it at all.

Is there anyway of getting it to run without a complete format of it or am I destined to loose the data on that HDD too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

What drive letter is assigned the drive?

Can you see the drive in Disk Management...see it properly?

If so, try changing the drive letter assigned to something like Z.

Hard Drive Letter Assignments - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...844&sd=tech

You might also check to see if your BIOS is properly detecting the hard drives now installed.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

#3 MotherNature66

MotherNature66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for your quick response.

I have checked all that you have asked and the BIOS is seeing the disk as it is.

In disk management the 80gig is called disk 1, Dynamic, foreign. There is no letter assigned, nor is it giving me the option to assign one. The smaller HDD is reading Disk 0,Basic, 18.65GB, Online.

This HDD has been in the computer for some time, working brilliantly & I did not remove it when I reformatted the smaller drive. Im worried I should have removed it before the big crash now :thumbsup:

What drive letter is assigned the drive?

Can you see the drive in Disk Management...see it properly?

If so, try changing the drive letter assigned to something like Z.

Hard Drive Letter Assignments - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...844&sd=tech

You might also check to see if your BIOS is properly detecting the hard drives now installed.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

#4 MotherNature66

MotherNature66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

I think I have found the problem. The OS that was on this computer was XP Pro it seems that because I now have XP Home on the computer it will not read the disk as it is a dynamic disk.

Looks like I will loose all the music I have stored but at least I have my pictures & other important stuff burnt to disc.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:01 AM

Is there any way you could organise to temporarily install the drive into a system running Win2k or XP Pro, and with sufficient spare storage to back up the existing contents, recreate a basic disk partitioned how you want and copy the contents back?

Edited by Platypus, 21 January 2008 - 03:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users