Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Response Time Is Very Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 moab's

moab's

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

I am running Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 2
512 MB RAM
IE version 6
My ISP says my speed is fine. Using DSL.

1. My response time on the internet is very slow.

Examples: (Seconds are total, not additive)
** Google **
My home page (google) time to come up: 3 seconds
“News” from google to come up after requested: 3 seconds

But, individual articles from the news are very slow.

First a blank screen comes up, then a header. The rest of the article is later. Seconds until header - 27, 14, 35, 22
Time for the article – 46, 39, 35, 34

Back button for articles in google take about 1 second.

o I did a query on “antivirus” Following is the time required to return the article.
Seconds until header - 26, 18, 20, 18, 3, 13, 3, 18, 1:34, 4, 18
Time for the entire article - 37, 25, 20, 25, 3, 17, 5, 30, 1:34, 4, 18

** Dailykos www.dailykos.com **
Seconds for site to come up – blank screen 25 seconds, 45 seconds for the header to come up. Begin text 59 seconds, whole page to fill 1 minute 19 seconds. A second time I tried it, it was 48 seconds for the whole page to fill. The third time it was blank screen in 20, header in 39, beginning of text 52, 1:20 for entire page to fill with text.

Accessing the articles – seconds for sreen to fill:
Blank and header: 33, 14, 17, 18
Text for Article: 34, 15, 17, 19
Back button 17, 20, 31, 29

** New York Times – www.nytimes.com **
Seconds for site to come up – blank screen 15 seconds, 18 seconds for the header. Text up in 32 seconds.

Accessing the article – seconds for screen to fill:
Blank and header 15, 4, 3, 15
Article 44, 4, 17, 27
Back button 5, 26, 18

** BBC News -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/ **
Seconds for site to come up – blank screen 11 seconds, 12 seconds for header, Text up in 12 seconds.

Accessing the articles – seconds for screen to fill:
Blank and header 10, 3, 13, 2
Article 11, 4, 13, 2
Back button 2, 1, 1, 1

** Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) **
Seconds for site to come up – blank screen 45 seconds, 45 seconds for header, Text up in 1 minute 16 seconds.

Accessing article 9 seconds
Back button 5 seconds

** Epicurious -- http://www.epicurious.com/ **
Header and text in 25 seconds.

** Truthout www.truthout.org **
5 seconds for site to come up

5 articles each came up in less than 2 seconds. One took 3 seconds. Two articles took 12 seconds. Both of those two had photos, where the rest did not.

** Common Dreams www.commondreams.org **
Each of these articles had pictures.
Time to come up: 5, 2, 2, 3, 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. I am cut off internet a few times a day. I get the message:
“Work Offline
No connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved to your computer, click work offline”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. It hasn’t happened in the last few days, but I was getting application hangs quite frequently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. I have run antivirus and spyware programs several times, and come up empty except for a few stray cookies I forgot to delete, or MRUs, or – once – a “riskware invader” HPZinw12.exe. I’m still not sure whether that is a legitimate HP program or not. Queries return information saying it is legitimate or that it is malware, depending on whom one reads. I emailed HP, and they say it is legitimate.

I have run Norton 360 many, many times. No problems detected.
I’ve since uninstalled Norton and installed Kaspersky. Kaspersky is the one that determined HPZinw12.exe was a “riskware invader”. I have run it several times, and it has found no other problems. I have run it both in and out of safe mode, and run both “computer” and “rootkit” as I don’t know what each means.

I have run AdAware many, many times. No problems detected. I was unable to run this in safe mode as I got error response “Exception Eaccess/Violation in module Ad-Aware 2007.exe at 001DC8E8. Acess violation at address 005DC8E8 in module ‘Ad-aware2007.exe’. Read of address 00000414.”

I just installed Spybot and ran it. No problems detected.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. I have run chkdsk. It said there were no problems. As I ran it at startup, I assume it was the equivalent of safe mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. I’ve cleared temporary files (I regulary clear these out). Disk cleanup will not eliminate “WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Defrag wasn’t needed. I recently had C drive replaced (not of my choosing. I had some bad segments). In the process, we moved a bunch of stuff to a second drive (F), so C is pretty clean and empty and freshly rearranged..
--------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know what else to look at to figure out why I’m getting such slow response. Can anyone make suggestions what I should do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

You could test your phone line. Grab a phone and plug it into the phone jack you use for your DSL modem. Press any number to get rid of the beeeeeep so all you should hear is silence. If there are any sounds coming down the line other than almost perfect silence then you should have your line checked out.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

you might find some ideas for scans to run
see this thread; http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
start at step 3; follow that down , do all scans requested

then follow from step 9 to see how to post a log for analysis by the HJT staff
that way you can exclude any unwanted guests on the computer as the cause of your problems :thumbsup:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:08 AM

regardless of how the hijackthis analysis goes I would try to optimize that computer and do a more thorough job of cleaning up remnants of old programs and freeing up resources at bootup

with 512 megs of ram is some of it being shared with onboard video?

try to set your temp internet files to 40 megs
adjust windows for best performance

have you cleaned up startup items with msconfig?

I keep about 250 megs free of my 512 per task manager

web traffic/congestion still slows me down, there's nothing you can do about that problem

you could test your connection at dslreports
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 moab's

moab's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:28 PM

Thanks, all, I've tried most of the suggestions -

1. Phone line is fine – perfect silence

2. I followed instructions (mostly) for Topic 34773 of forum and have sent in the Hijack this log.

3. I am a pretty unsophisticated user, no video or anything complex.

o As per instructions, I have set temporary internet files to 40MB.

o I found a Microsoft article on “How to Set Performance Options in Windows XP”, but I am not a particularly knowledgeable user and don’t feel competent to change any of these settings. If someone would advise on what I should look for, I'd be will to try it.

o MSCONFIG – Following are the few items I have in startup
HPWuSchd2
Winampa
BCMSMMSG
NeroCheck
Reader-sl
Avp
NMBgmonitor
Ctfmon
TeaTimer
HP Digital Imiaging
Microscoft Office

I will uncheck winampa, NeroCheck and NMBmonitor. Nero was installed by the person who installed my new C drive. I did an “uninstall” of Nero when it was interfering with a process I was trying to do (I believe it was a search in file manager). Microsoft error report told me Nero was causing the problem. I’d never used Nero and don’t know what it is supposed to do, but I did notice remnants of it still hanging around after the uninstall.

I'll wait a little while to delete in case anyone wants to say "oh, no, don't do that!"

o Sorry – I know what the Task Manager is (in a rudimentary sort of way), but I don’t know how to tell if I have 250 megs free.

I ran dslreports. Report shows 2025 kb/s download, 133 kb/s upload, latency 2651 ms. (There is a note: Warning: ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload sppeds may be inaccurate).

I ran speed test on Frontier’s site. There download was 1187 and upload 100 kb/s. I called Technical Support to ask them what the speed should be. His answer was 800k – 1.5 meg.

--------------
Any other advice?

Thanks

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hello moab's,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users