Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Caption Before Login Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 p_k

p_k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

I get this caption before seeing login screen on window xp computer: any help will be appreciated.

"Legal caption: Micro$oft + Hackers of America

By clicking OK below, you consent to various undisclosed terms and conditions of using this computer. Rid your computer of this burden (if you can) with assistance of someone with software expertise whom you know very well and can trust with your personal data (i.e member of household, close family, close friend). Do not consult with your ISP provider, Microsoft, or any other corporation. Do not pay for the services of someone to fix this problem. Have courage to ask for help. Good luck to you. Update: Think fast. Your computer and all your data is becoming open source for us at an increasingly fast rate. Remote monitoring at some level has been occuring for quite some time now. Your solution cannot be learned from books or videos. As more time passes computers nearby will be vulnerable. Consider this to be the last warning."

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

My first thought is to disconnect the affected computer from the internet immediately. Physically remove the connection.

Questions:
  • Are you able to boot into either normal or safe mode?
  • Have you noticed any other problems?
  • When did this start happening, and what was done on the computer just before?
  • What is your operating system?
Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 p_k

p_k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

i have xP home, machine boots up normal. this started couple of days ago. no other problems. the caption box have additional text in it.
any help is appreciated.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Do you remember what you were doing just before this happened? Sites visited? Links clicked etc.?

Also, do you have any security programs installed? If so, what are they?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 p_k

p_k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

my machine was hacked. registry were edited with caption note. took caption note line out. ran spyware. it is safe now. Below was what I was seeing prior to login screen.
Feel free to share with community. Feel good to knock down one monster. thanks for help.

"Legal caption: Micro$oft + Hackers of America

By clicking OK below, you consent to various undisclosed terms and conditions of using this computer. Rid your computer of this burden (if you can) with assistance of someone with software expertise whom you know very well and can trust with your personal data (i.e member of household, close family, close friend). Do not consult with your ISP provider, Microsoft, or any other corporation. Do not pay for the services of someone to fix this problem. Have courage to ask for help. Good luck to you. Update: Think fast. Your computer and all your data is becoming open source for us at an increasingly fast rate. Remote monitoring at some level has been occuring for quite some time now. Your solution cannot be learned from books or videos. As more time passes computers nearby will be vulnerable. Consider this to be the last warning."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users