Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MMC

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:30 AM

Well, You Asked For It

I'd appreciate a helpful little guide through the myriads of microspeak attached to the MMC.

I have the Microsoft Management Console at my disposal, so to speak, and before I grit my teeth to suppress an animal growl...

I'd like to apply it's potential. Not on a corporate network. Not to lock myself out of my own resources. Not to invite disaster to my solo PC. Not wanting to limit my understanding, but to focus in on good discipline regarding the practical nature of...

Configuration

Securely... given the fact I'm not living in a military installation or planning to launch an extraordinarily successful business endeavor that will require a high level of internal controls and anticipatory safeguards.

Maybe I'd like to setup some garage sale units for one reason or another... eventually a laptop or something for grandma in a guest room.

I'd like to apply some underlying basic commonsense words of advice as I grow in my use of the technology at hand (and be able to reassure others who might not be enjoying some of the benefits of it due to the intimidation factor) :thumbsup:

When confronted with "public key policies" or "IP Security Policies on Local Computer" for instance and knowing these are just the tip of an iceberg that may sink the good ship Lollypop...one would choose to not be ignorant... but it can be daunting.

Just a thought.

I'm truly amazed and pleased at what you've accomplished here in such a short time. In all fairness to your organization, I suspect all I seek and more are here already so off I go to another something to read and consider. Thank You.

Edited by phawgg, 16 July 2004 - 12:30 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:24 AM

Well the MMC is really just a shell for various templates that you can open. For example when you go into start, control panel, administrative tools, services, you are actually opening up the mmc program, and loading into the services.msc, which is the document that tells mmc what information it should retrieve.

You can see all the msc's on your computer by opening up c:\windows\system32 and sorting by type. Look for the type: Microsoft Common COnsole Document. Then you can run mmc and load those particular documents to control certainaspects of your computer.

Are there particular msc's you want info on?

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

Excellent
  • fsmgmt
  • secpol
(For my own clarification, I copied the entire list of Microsoft Common Console Documents to an unused partition on my primary disc. Then I got concerned that maybe I shouldn't do that. Comments?)

a recent new problem I'm experiencing brings these particular msc's to mind
  • In MyDocuments...msg your current security settings do not allow you to download files from this location

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

I am going to move this thread to a new topic in the windows forum as we are starting to go off base here.

As for the copying of the files, that will not cause a problem.

What are you doing that gives that error message?

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

Simply trying to
  • move,
  • copy or
  • delete...any normal action to
any file! It began this behavior about the same time the problems relative to my "browser hijack" issues began.

It only does this in My Documents, I think. I can move/delete/copy/etc files between and on my other disks and partitions of them

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

Double-click on my computer, and right click on the c drive and tell me the type of filesystem it is.

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

NTFS

that drive was FAT32 (until late June this year when I added a different slave HDD)

I read a good tutorial on the issue, wish I could remember where...but I took good notes.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

XP pro or home?

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

pro

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:20 PM

Ok go into c:\documents and settings\yourusername\ and then right click and go into properties of my documents.

Click on security and then permissions. And make sure your username is listed there with full permissions

Going to sleep now so will see your reply tomorrow

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

Click on security and then permissions. And make sure your username is listed there with full permissions

Since the dialog box I face differs from your desciption somewhat, I'll describe it.

Titled: My Document Properties

2 tabs...General & Sharing

• General
with the following information:
  • type: File Folder
  • Location C:\Documents and Settings\m.j. jensen
  • Size 282 MB
  • Size on disk 285 MB
  • Contains 1,313 Files, 103 Folders
  • Created Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004
  • Attributes Read Only or Hidden
and an Advanced Button:
  • Archive & Index Attributes
  • folder is ready for archiving
  • for fast searching, allow Index Service to index this folder [checked]
  • Compress or Encrypt Attributes
  • compress contents to save disk space
  • encrypt contents to secure data
  • Sharing
with the following information:
  • Local Security
  • to share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it to the Shared Documents folder
  • to make this folder & its sub-folders private so that only you have access, select the box - make this folder private
  • Network Sharing & Security
  • to share this folder with both network users & other users of this computer, select the first check box below & type a share name - allow network users to change my files
In the interest of education... not really expecting to be "spoon-fed", but concerned that I can't simply implement your directions verbatim, I include the above stuff.

Besides, it dovetails into my desire for a tutorial on Administrative Tools (MMC)

Significantly, data not seen yet includes the fact that in June I reloaded my OS after installing a second Maxtor 120 Gb HDD. I used the MaxBlast CD to re-format both old and new HDD,s. The second Maxtor replaced the previous NEC 60Gb drive that, for some reason would only "yield up" 32Gb's after fdisc-ing it. :flowers: It was then that I changed to NTFS fromFAT32 on the original Maxtor 40 Gb HDD...and that I accomplished after switching the primary/slave drive configurations around a couple times testing the use of the MaxBlast application. (somewhere in the user manual it says they don't recommend using fdisc on their manufactured drives, so my confidence in my techniques used previously was furthor eroded)

To make matters worse (probably) on the date listed in the above "General" My Documents properties as "created" I re-loaded OS again, without deletion of any data. I was expecting to open up the "repair" feature, but I didn't encounter it that time through. :thumbsup: to the best of my recall.

Trial & Error, I admit, but something was messing up my routine. So theres the ugly truth, I The Novice Plod Ever Onward. lol

I think I could apply your advice as a suggestion towards making some choices in the properties of My Documents, but I'll wait to hear from you instead.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

Lets try to get it so we can see the permissions tab. I want you to turn off simple file sharing on your computer.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:

1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

Then try the steps i outlined above.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:54 AM

I want you to turn off simple file sharing on your computer.

Good, now I see 2 additional tabs:
  • Security
  • Customize
and under security I get the permissions options.

I've checked all boxes for all of these (not including special permissions)
  • Administrator (GRAYCASE4\Administrators)
  • CREATOR OWNER
  • martin j. jensen (GRAYCASE4\m.j. jensen)
  • SYSTEM
  • Users (GRAYCASE4\users)
and the problem is thankfully gone. No more msg re: security settings prevent etc.

It does demonstrate (to me, at least) the probable source of several other problems I have now and those I'll inflict upon myself in the future if I don't...

restore simplicity.

(and understand the complexity, too.)

this is asingle-user gateway computer not on a network and I haven't set passwords.

(which brings to mind that several months back all of a sudden one morning I couldn't access my BIOS like usual. A password was now needed. Why? Well, I learned about the jumper location on my motherboard via TFM but wasn't confident
that that would do it until I held my breath and did it)

talk about multiple-personality schitzophrenic PC's being operated by paranoid-delusional users! Besides being insecurely configured, one can only wonder Why? else would these behaviors exist.

Anyway, General, you've done it again. Another spendid victory! :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 18 July 2004 - 03:55 AM.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:37 AM

phawgg,

Let me tell you that you are learning how to use computers the best way possible, by fixing a broken one.

I consistently learn new things by purposely infecting myself with malware or breaking things, and then fixing them. Its really the best way to learn in my opinion because you h ave to get into the thick of things

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:38 PM

This morning I booted up, opened My Documents....got the error code again. Then opened My Computer...got the blank screen with the flashlight searching. It took about a minute.

opened C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\properties > security

chose each of the 5 listed, and only CREATOR OWNER had no allowed permissions.

checked the boxes, rebooted (the sequence seemed slow and kinda choppy)

same problem at My Computer, back to permissions, same none at CREATOR OWNER, so I tried again and this time it would accept the change and immediatly erase it (them)

I chose CREATOR OWNER and opted to remove it.

rebooted, etc. and slowdown still exists, My Documents still displays msg "your security settings don't allow download from here" but now I down to 4 ID's under my username.

I don't think I'm out of the woods yet

:thumbsup: (My Computer only "balks" first time opened after boot, normal quick access thereafter)

Edited by phawgg, 19 July 2004 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users