Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Turn On?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

I have a computer I was trying to get going. I know it worked before, because I have turned it on before. It's windows XP pro. I went to turn it back on, the screen just stayed black and the computer beeped. I restarted it, completely unplugged everything from the computer, plugged it all back in, tried letting it sit, tried restarting again, but nothing.....I even tried putting the harddrive into another computer but nothing...Could hooking something up wrong cause this?? I'm hoping not to find out its the hard drive gone bad, because it worked just fine before....but i have a bad feeling thats what is wrong...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

<<I even tried putting the harddrive into another computer but nothing>>

What does that mean? That you tried to put the hard drive as the boot drive and it failed to boot? That you put the HD in another system as a secondary drive and you could not read anything on the drive?

How many beeps?

Did you check the computer which had been sitting...for dust before attempting to start it?

Did you check all the internal connections (power supply, IDE cables, motherboard) and reseat the memory modules and video card before attempting to start it?

If not, I think I would do these things before just saying that it won't start.

Did any of the fans spin? Did you check to see that the power supply switch was in the ON position?

Louis

#3 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

nevermind, i figured it out...my own stupidity and forgetfulness...I removed all the memory from the tower I put the hard drive in...so when I tried to start up all I got was some beeping...and yes the fans spun. as soon as I realized what I had done I put a stick of memory in and it works now. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users