Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Spooling Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 burnttoastcrumbs

burnttoastcrumbs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:14 AM

Okay, I run Windows XP Professional. I can't turn on my printer because every time I log on, some program somewhere starts spooling printer documents. This has gotten really really annoying, as those documents are 40MB+.

Any thoughts/help/advice? THanks.

And while I'm here, does anyone know what mirindaspd is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burnttoastcrumbs

burnttoastcrumbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:16 AM

Oh, and i"m pretty n00b. is ntvdm.exe a safe process? Cause it eats up my CPU usage like crazy.

Plaese, someone help me? I need to print out my English paper and this is really getting irritating.

Edited by burnttoastcrumbs, 05 March 2005 - 01:29 AM.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

Hi burnttoastcrumbs, :thumbsup: to BC

ntvdm.exe is a safe process, it basically is used to run a 16 bit program on a 32 bit computer.

From the Answers That Work task list:

Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003.  Whenever you start a DOS or 16-bit Windows program (Windows 3.1 software, or a program designed for Win9x/NT4 but which has a mixture of 32-bit and 16-bit programming code) under Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003, that 16-bit program gets run by the Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine, NTVDM, which basically emulates a DOS/16-bit environment so that your program can run.  There will be a different instance of NTVDM running for each DOS/16-bit program that you run.  (Note that NTVDM in turns starts a different process called WOWEXEC).

Recommendation :
If NTVDM is in your Task List, you have a DOS or 16-bit program running.  If it is twice in your Task List, you have two DOS or 16-bit programs running, etc...  Leave alone;  as soon as you close your running DOS/16-bit program(s), NTVDM will disappear from your Task List under Windows 2000/XP/2003 although it will remain in your Task List under Windows NT4 under NT4 this is by design to ensure that the next 16-bit program you run loads faster.

If you are concerned about what a particular process running on your computer is all about, just click the Answers That Work link in my signature and look it up in their task list.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 burnttoastcrumbs

burnttoastcrumbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

Thanks, Ronbo.

Whoops. I closed it every time it popped up... Ahaha...

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:55 AM

I couldn't find anything about mirindaspd on google, it doesn't even offer an "are you sure didn't mean this instead" option like it does when you misspell something. So I don't know what to tell you about that.

On your spooling problem, you have no idea what program is trying to print?

Have you tried clicking the printer button on the taskbar (if you have one) and canceling all the print jobs in the cue?
There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:15 PM

I can't turn on my printer because every time I log on, some program somewhere starts spooling printer documents.

Sometimes, your printer's little mind gets messed up. In order to set it right, unplug both the printer cable and the power cable for one minute, then plug them back in and turn the printer back on. If it was a problem with the printer memory, that will clear it. If it actually is a problem with your computer, the problem will return.

#7 burnttoastcrumbs

burnttoastcrumbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

I couldn't find anything about mirindaspd on google, it doesn't even offer an "are you sure didn't mean this instead" option like it does when you misspell something. So I don't know what to tell you about that.

On your spooling problem, you have no idea what program is trying to print?

Have you tried clicking the printer button on the taskbar (if you have one) and canceling all the print jobs in the cue?

I delete everything in the queue, and all the document names are "No Document Name"

Herk== Thanks, I'll try that. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users