Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair But

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 coldencom

coldencom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:01 AM

My month old Vista pc had corrupted files that required a Startup Repair said the Gateway support tech. (This is done on my Gateway GT5628 by pressing F8 at startup) It worked great except all my email "profiles" in Thunderbird disappeared. In addition to my mail, other files, programs and folders apparently were not backed up either by the Vista "Startup Repair" process.

Anyone know if the mail and other files might be hiding out in an unusual place or is the Vista process really an unfinished piece of work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

How to locate your profile folders: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
How to restore it once you find it: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, John. But there is no mail in that folder. Looks like some sort of bug ate the mail. That's all I can figure and it is not a good development :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Try searching your hard drive for files ending in .msf (the mail files). Also look for files ending in .rdf for more of the profile stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

I found the .msf files, but most are only 1 kb and I had a lot of mail. What do I do next? I've been flailing around with this for awhile. Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

Right, they'll be that size - but navigate to the folders that they're located in and you should find a file with the same name but no .msf extension - that's the actual mail (sorry, didn't notice that with my search on my system before). There should be a different folder for each account that you had.

#7 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Great! I found a folder called--appropriately enough--Mail. It's under Thunderbird > Profiles > blah.default and contains all my email accounts and mail. My last question is how the heck do I get TBird to recognize that Mail folder?

Thanks

Edited by coldencom, 20 January 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

How to restore it once you find it: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move

#9 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

This is crazy. I cannot save the new profiles.ini because Vista won't let me:

"Cannot create the C:\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\profiles.ini file
Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

Huh? I'm feeling dumber and dumber... :huh:

#10 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

The link you gave me is helpful. I'm OK up to step 4.

4. # In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location. If you are using a non-relative pathname, the direction of the slashes may be relevant (this is true for Windows XP).

That's easier said than done. Path=Profiles/3ohgdixq.default is what it is as originally written, but the actual mail is in the folder Path=Profiles/3ohgdixq.default/Mail Is that what I need to put in the profiles.ini file ? (I think I've somehow solved the earlier problem of not being able to save it) The reason I ask is that a gmail pop I added as a test is in the Mail folder and works with Thunderbird, but the other accounts in the profile do not show up. That's why I question the need to change the profiles.ini file.

5. # Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.

I tried this without good effect. But after a little research, I know these factoids:

IsRelative=1 refers to the expected or "default" folder path that would be relative to the operating system, e.g., Path=Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default would be C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default for a Firefox profile folder in Windows XP.

IsRelative=0 refers to a custom profile location such as Path=D:\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\MyProfile

StartWithLastProfile=1 indicates that the "Don't ask at startup" option is selected.

Default=1 refers to the last selected profile.

Now I'll see if I can get this turkey to fly.

6. # Save profiles.ini and restart Thunderbird.

Back to Square One.

Edited by coldencom, 20 January 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

Is Thunderbird closed when you do this? If the file's in use it won't be able to be saved.

#12 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

Is Thunderbird closed when you do this? If the file's in use it won't be able to be saved.

John, that may have been the issue before. I can now save the profile, but I can't get Tbird to get most of the accounts. That's what I need a step-by-step on. Thanks....

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

That's a bit beyond my knowledge - it's worked seamlessly for me when I've imported my stuff (I've got emails going back to early 2005 on this Vista installation). I wonder if you're running these files as an Administrator - or using administrative privileges when opening/saving them tho'.

#14 coldencom

coldencom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

I'm always running as the Admin. As far as my mail goes, I guess I'll scrap the idea and start from scratch. That's what I get for using old mail messages as an archive. :huh:

Thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users