Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yes Another Question....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thefreak0naleash

thefreak0naleash

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

Ok,yes I understand it takes time to go over everyones HJT logs and all,but it's tough for me to sit idle..so I have been running my computer.I haven't made any changes as instructed when I posted,however I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't boot up normally,but yet when I boot via: Windows Domain And Controllers,it seems to be fine. :thumbsup: Except for being in safe mode,but with all my normal boot display settings,and of course not having a toolbar or desktop unless I use task manager to run the programs I need,like windows explorer,cleanmgr(disk clean) still can't find defragment.But there's another thing too,it seems I have gotten some of my windows files back,and they have been scanned,infection free according to spybot sd 1.5.I am at a total lose and want to know if replacing the hard drive with a new OS would take care of this once and for all?....or can I salvage my OS without costing me a small fortune?Thank you for all you help so far,Ed(thefreak0naleash)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

Safe Mode is diagnostic mode with a minimum of applications running which is why it appears as it does. I realize that not having access to you computer is a hardship, but if you can hang in there a little longer the HJT team will help get your computer clean.

As for other solutions, if you want to lose everything that you have on the hdd you can wipe the hdd with a program like KillDisk and reinstall the operating system...if you have the installation disk and product code.

If you decide to wipe the hdd and start over let the HJT team know so that they can release your file.

Edited by dc3, 20 January 2008 - 12:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thefreak0naleash

thefreak0naleash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Well,I can't clean the disk,being when I purchased this computer,they never gave me the windows XP Professional Disc,it was refurbished Dell tower pc. It was a good deal until I did something dumb,and didn't properly scan a file. oops. Thus the reason I am trying to save it.Though I am seeing almost every process including the other 3 programs I was told to get in the HJT checklist,this is why I wonder why it won't start "normally". I have been doing pretty much everything I was doing before,this mess occured in this windows domian controllers safe mode.You guys know better than me,and I'll wait...I don't have the money to blow on another computer...lol. :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

Have you tried to contact Dell and order a set of Restore Disks for your system? Generally they're pretty cheap from the manufacturer - and are a lot less expensive than buying a retail copy of XP!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 thefreak0naleash

thefreak0naleash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

I didn't know such a thing existed,thank you for the information,very much appreciated :thumbsup:

#6 thefreak0naleash

thefreak0naleash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

I got another little question....is it ok to update and run my anti-virus and spybot software even though I haven't had the HJT looked at yet? Also is there a way to get some kind of defragmenting program,it seems this virus/trojan/malware whatever it is has done something with windows defrag.exe?.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Nope, no changes to the system are allowed once a HJT log has been submitted - the antivirus/antispyware apps may remove some items, or may cause the infection to "mutate" - making it more difficult to find and eliminate the infection. Please be patient! The malware scourge has the HJT experts extremely busy, but they'll get to your log as soon as they can.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users