Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hardware Changed! How?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

I have had this pc for over two years.

It's the media center edition built upon xp pro.

It has Always had the Nvidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache display adapter.

I have all of the hardware specs that came with it and I have two or three copies, (made on different dates) of Belarc Advisors audits which also show that I am not nuts.

All of that changed, sometime within the last few days!

When I pulled up the properties menu earlier and clicked on adapter, it showed Nvidia GeForce 6100!?

I went directly to Belarc Advisor and to my dismay .. It now shows the 6100.

What Possible way could this have happened?

Hardware just doesn't changed by itself, does it?

I've also experienced a lot of Explorer, Firefox and Opera shutdowns along with other shutdowns like the computer shutting itself down and re-booting. To protect itself?
Thats what the message says whenever it does this.

My monitor display colors have been pretty bad too.

I just can't figure this one out and I've never seen anyone else post this kind of problem before.

Thanks Everyone,
MrClose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

One of the most common causes for that type of shut down is over heating. This is also the easiest to deal with, open the case and look at the heat sink and fan on top of the CPU, if it is dusty you will need to blow it out with canned air which you can get at you local hardware store.

Have you looked in the Event Viewer for errors occurring at the times that you are experiencing these problems?

If you have a CRT type monitor do you have a speaker close to the screen?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:58 AM

Hi dc3

I am not so concerned with the screen display or the shutting down problem as I am with the hardware change.

I have discovered that the 169.xxxx driver that I updated to could very well be what is behind those other problems.

I just can't get my mind wrapped around that change in my hardware.

MrClose

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

There may be no actual change in hardware...just inaccurate reporting of hardware :thumbsup:.

It can happen on a desktop when the battery runs low or something else just throws Windows completely out of whack.

I think you will also find that Belarc does not vouch for its accuracy in data provided, my assumption would be that they are aware that the data can just be incorrectly reported under varying circumstances.

Any known problem with system time/date?

What is this driver you referred to...and why did you mention it as a likely culprit?

Taken a look in Event Viewer (as suggested) yet?

Louis

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hi Louis,

Not only does Belarc show this hardware change .. Everest does too!
Both of them couldn't be wrong and most especially .. at the same point in time?

I have Tons of error reports in my event viewer, most of them dealing with a faulting application and/or module.

A driver I assume?

These #'s seem to have a part in it: (version numbers) 5.1.2600 and 5.1.2600.2180

Application: drwtsn32.exe
Faulting Module:dbghelp.dll
Fault address: 0x0001295d

THIS Stuff might as well be written in Greek!
Why is it that lawyers and Pc Geeks can't speak or write in plain ole everyday language? LOL

MrClose

P.S. Twice I tried to start the pc and got a blue screen say Lots of Greek and telling me They saved my pc by shuting down and Dumping memory!

Had to get in using the Last know Good Configuration.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think your focus is off.

Your system has problems...the clues to those problems lies, in part, in the error messages generated onscreen...and error messages that may exist in Event Viewer.

If you care to post full details of such, someone would probably appreciate it and less ranting.

And...if you think that two similar tools...cannot relay erroneous information fed to it by an O/S that is out of whack, then you believe in something which I don't.

Just my opinion...

Louis

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:18 AM

Hi Louis

I was thrown off of my system and haven't been able to get back on until now.

I am going to be quiet honest with you .. and I would guess, Everyone.

I don't have a Clue as to what I am doing on a pc when it comes to trouble-shooting and/or updating drivers.
I Do think that when I tried updating a driver is when my problems began.

I would be More than willing to hand my system over to Anyone who could help me get it back to where it use to be.

From what I understand, This pc is able to give up control to someone else who is on the same type of system?

This is the Media Center Edition built upon the Xp Pro.

I am Desperate and open to Anyone who is willing to help.

I apologise for my ranting, Guess I am just confused and upset.

Guess us old folks get that way when we try to understand these new fangled contraptions and then they go bonkers on you. LOL

Again,
I truly am sorry if I sounded as if I was ranting. (I probably was/am)

MC

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:45 AM

No problem, I'm a member of the AllTimers Club :flowers:.

OK...I believe that we need to focus on things which really are operational problems or known errors...rather than try to understand why something is reported incorrectly.

<<I've also experienced a lot of Explorer, Firefox and Opera shutdowns along with other shutdowns like the computer shutting itself down and re-booting.>>

Whatever is prompting these known irregularities (there may be more) is possibly responsible for other situations, such as incorrect reporting of hardware. If we can attempt to solve these things, then we probably will solve the other.

1st Step: I want you take a look in Event Viewer (after reading/understanding the following link) and take note of the last 4/5 errors noted on all three tabs. When you come upon an error, double-click on it...look at and copy the details...and post the error and the details (word for word) here and I think we can start moving forward.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

And, since you are concerned about drivers, take a look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow or red markings by any item viewable.

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

If there are, note which item the marks are by and report that info back to us.

Louis

FWIW: Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html Reading material, not a suggestion :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users