Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spunkyplyr7

spunkyplyr7

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent External Desktop 500 gb hard drive. What I would like to do is mirror my C drive to my external drive, delete all but the program files on my C drive to open up operating space and speed things up and then save any new documents, pics, music and video to the external drive so it didn't bog down the C drive...and I don't know where to begin. Is this possible? Is it something that a novice can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

to mirror the drive you will need a ghosting program such as Acronis True Image
or
Norton Ghost
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

Sure, it can be done :thumbsup:.

Once you connect the drive to your computer, you should be able to see it in My Computer.

Once it's recognized there, the drive is part of your system. You can move files from your XP partition to that partition with ease.

You won't be able to move installed program or system files, but you've indicated that is not your intent. Just about everything else can be moved with no trouble.

You really don't want to mirror the C: drive, that is not necessary. When most persons speak of such, they do so in the context of backing up an entire system...which, IMO, is a good practice...but it's not the same as merely moving files.

You can also move your My Documents, your email store, all sorts of data files...from C: to the external.

Take a look at:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_documents.htm

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

Louis

#4 spunkyplyr7

spunkyplyr7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Louis - I think you know exactly what I wanted because those links are what I really want to do :huh:

I thought I had to mirror my hard drive in order for the programs to know where to look when I wanted to open/close or save.

And thank you Mark for pointing me in the right direction to get my questions answered and your quick response! :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users